Calling nappies - nappies

I’m just now starting to get comfortable calling them diapers, and I think that it’s a sign that I’m starting to accept certain things, and it’s a sign that I’m starting to accept all of my imperfections. It really is freeing to loose the stigma that the word diaper often carries.

I've been wearing 24/7 for many years and simply call them diapers.
That's the name I first knew them by when told about them to manage urinary incontinence.

I can then diapers when I'm talking with my wife. With healthcare people, it varies - I'll often call them incontinence briefs, because many doctors and nurses are trained not to call them diapers due to that potentially being considered a demeaning or embarrassing term by some patients.

Some non-urological folks get confused by the term "incontinence brief," so sometimes I have to clarify. At my dermatology appointment last month, the nurse told me to take off all my clothes except my underwear and put on a gown. I got her that I was wearing an incontinence brief, and asked if I should leave that on or take it off, and she gave me a blank look. As soon as I told her it was an adult diaper, she was able to answer the question. (She had me keep it on, and the doctor had me untape it and pull it down to do the skin exam in that area.)

At the end of the day, I believe the point of language is to communicate clearly. I work hard not to be ashamed of my incontinence (sometimes I even succeed), and I don't think using euphemisms is necessary. I don't buy the idea that calling them diapers or nappies will reduce the stigma, but I do like to be precise with my words.

I agree Itapilot, it creates a lot of confusion, I am not ashamed to call them by their name. Diapers help me get through day and night. They help me get through work and allow me move about freely and enjoy life to the fullest.

Great post @ltapilot! I also don't think euphemisms are necessary especially when you're dealing with the medical world. Just come right out and say it! After all, the care-givers and providers can see with their own eyes what you're wearing and they can come to their own conclusions. And I like your attitude that the point of language is to communicate clearly. If the word "diapers" succeeds where "incontinence brief" or "pull-up" doesn't then so be it!
And @LiveLifeJR, you actually have a clue as to what diapers really are used for and how we need to feel about them! They do help you move about feely so you can go anywhere at anytime and not feel restricted by checking where the nearest bathroom is. Having that freedom does allow us to enjoy life as it was meant to be.

I call them diapers.

I don't like euphemisms and linguistic slight of hand to try to make me feel better. I wear diapers. It is what it is. Calling them pads or briefs doesn't really do anything for me.

It still feels weird when packing for a trip or something and my wife's asks if I packed my diapers, but I don't think it would seem any less awkward if she called them briefs or pads or incontinence pants or whatever.

I call any incontinence product a diaper. Just because you don't necessarily have to tape it on like a brief, it is still a diaper. I wear incontinence underwear but my wife and I still refer to it as my diaper. There should be no shame calling it what it is. My doctor has called them adult diapers before and has even written me out a prescription stating adult diapers.

I was certainly in no doubt what they were when I had to buy my first pack! I think having to wear protection as a kid for bedwetting helped because using adult diapers/nappies just seemed the logical thing to do when I had issues as an adult.

That being said, I can see why people use different terms. I guess ultimately nappies are just wearable pads to protect your trousers so 'pad' is a logical term. For me though, it's obvious what they are so I just figure call them by their name. 'Incontinence pad' has connotations of care homes and old people so as a 29 year old I don't really find it any less embarrassing a term really.

I have learned to call them diapers but my wife calls them my protection this is due to having a husband in diapers.

My wife and I call them my diapers with no big deal. Anyway you call it, they are still considered diapers.

At home, they were called "shorts". This nev. er changed.
At hospital they were called attends or depends. I call them diapers and act stupid if a nurse or aid tries to act clever and use a unique name to call them. My former wife called them shorts or any name to avoid the real name. I didn't care if someone said diaper.

I call diapers "diapers". When I'm at the doctor's office, they usually call them "Incontinence Briefs", so I'll refer to them as that also, when I'm talking with medical personnel.

My wife calls them "Things". It goes like this... "The laundry is done, so if you have to wash your things, the washer is empty..."

Now if you're an astronaut headed to space, you'll call them "Maximum Absorbency Garment" or MAG.
(No, really.... Google it!!)

It's true, NASA calls them Maximum Absorbency Garments, but if you want to really speak "government-ese," the correct term is Garments, Absorbency, Maximum! And when it's written out is has to be in quintuplicate!!!! :D