Calling nappies - nappies

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone I've been wearing nappies/ Diapers for many years. How many of you call them what they are rather than pads.

I have no problem calling them diapers now that a I’m back in the U.S. I lived in Australia for many years though, and there, I called them nappies It was interesting to me though, that, sometimes, healthcare professionals, upon hearing my American accent, would refer to them as diapers. I also lived for awhile in the Middle East. When I was hospitalized for surgery, some of the Filipino nurses used to refer to them as Pampers. I was surprised at that.

With my Wife, healthcare professionals, and online I just call them diapers. But with friends, or anyone else, I call them "Depends". I use what I consider to be a generic term (think Kleenex) like that as I feel it is a little more of a comfortable word for all concerned rather than using the heavily stigmatized term "diapers". In addition most would have no interest in knowing any details about exactly what I'm wearing, and for them it just conjures up the rather pleasant image that Depends advertising has portrayed in mass media. However, if someone really wanted to talk about the details, and use the word diaper doing so, I'd have no problem with that at all.

I totally agree with every single post. My wife calls them pads and hates it when I say nappy.
I was in hospital recently and I was wired up too all these different machines and I had to change but found it very difficult so I asked the nurse if she would help change my nappy and she kicked off saying there not nappies they are pads.

With me it depends on who im talking to, health care personnel I call them pads or protection.

Friends family their nappies or if talking to friends from the other side of the pond like USA I use the term diapers.

I don't call them anything else but a diaper. The other names they use is to keep the word diaper out of the phrase for social stigma purposes. To some people out there, they feel embarrassed to call there protection a diaper. It gives them the idea that they are babies for wearing diapers. I say a diaper is a diaper and there is no other name for it. We were born with wearing diapers. We will pass away wearing diapers.

Pads or slips is what the medical profession want to call them. To me they are just nappies. My wife woks in a care home and they always call them pads.

I differentiate between pads which I think are something you slip in your underwear, (Also called shields or guards), the generic Term “Depends” which I consider a pull on, paper, disposable type of underwear, and diapers which I consider similar to “depends” but that open flat and are secured with “tabs”. There are also cloth diapers that are reused.

My only experience has been with what I call pads and what I call depends

Until I started reading this forum I had never heard the term “nappies” or “chucks”; apparently because I am unworldly.

I guess you can call them whatever you like.

I call them diapers. If I was in the UK, I’d call them nappies. They shouldn’t be called pads, because pads are pads. And chucks shouldn’t be called pads, because they’re either bedpads or chucks. Misusing the terms just weakly creates confusion.

I call them diapers, my wife calls them rags, because we had a young child way back when, and we didn't want her to know that her dad wet the bed and wore diapers. It worked, but I still call them diapers

Hi @JWT, I see your point. And I agree that we were born wearing diapers and will most likely pass away wearing diapers (there's always that chance we'll be wearing something else!). I really have no personal preference as to what to call them. I think it's strictly a matter of personal choice and whatever makes you comfortable. As for the Depends, when I hear that term I think of the actual product with that name, although once again it is a personal preference. And since Depends and Kleenex are made by the same company, when referring to tissues, I always call it Kleenex (always have and always will) just like I always say I'm going to make a Xerox of something that's written on paper.

As a former computer programmer, precise names are needed. I have gained a lot of respect for the people on here that do wear diapers! I received the samples from Northshore, which are very helpful. People who need a full tabbed diaper or full pullup diaper have my respect. I spent 10 minutes trying to get the Mega Blue on and almost fell off the toilet trying to catch the wings / sides. The diapers both tabbed and pullup were great for nighttime.

Diapers - full front and back
Pullups - urinary incontinence
Pads or guards - thick, holds up 6 to 8 ounces
Shields - thin, holds up to 2 or 3 ounces
Chucks / bed pads - Thanks to @snow and her post, I learned the term and saw the product.

I will say that it is better to spend more money on Depends than the store brand.

I just call them diapers. No matter if they're a brief, pull up, etc. My wife and I call my pull up underwear "diapers" and never bat an eye. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Nappy sounds to me like a woman talking to her baby, like women do, "Let's change your nappy." Not that it is insulting but loving and playful. After meeting and having conversations with people from the UK I've understood that what Americans speak is not necessarily the English that the English people speak. I even have some trouble understanding (mostly the accent) of the news anchors on PBS television. And some British authors' books have words that our dictionary doesn't have so I have to guess at the meaning. We are different countries with somewhat different geography and cultures.