Briefs/Pads vs Catheter vs Clamp … What works?

Archives1

Staff member
I have been incontinent since my LRP in August 2022. Things appear to be improving now albeit very slowly! In the 5+ months dealing with my incontinence I have tried and used various items that have helped me to manage the condition. Following my surgery and the week or so that I endured the Foley catheter I began using briefs with pads (maxis) to deal with the “flood”. A little over a month following my surgery the flood began to calm allowing me to begin trying other methods and devices to manage my incontinence.

My first change was to begin using light/shield pads in place of the maxis pads while still using briefs. The maxis would get very soggy and weighty which I found uncomfortable. Depending on activity, I could go 2-4 hours using the light pads during the day and a one for an entire night. However, I found the brief/pad combo to be inconvenient on long drives, going to restaurants, or away from home for long periods. I began to use External (Condom) Catheters for these activities and they continue to work very well for these purposes. However, my Urologist/Surgeon advised that I stay in briefs/pads as much as possible because the sensation of wetness that they provide incentivizes me to work toward continence. I found her advice to be very true because whenever I wear the catheter I forget about my incontinence and the ongoing effort that I need to make to manage it. I am physically very active and enjoy long, energetic walks and running. I found that briefs/pads and the external catheter don’t really work well or comfortably when doing these activities. I had read about penile clamps as another way to control leaks. The reviews were both positive (they work …) and negative (they are uncomfortable …). I tried a clamp (Bard) and found it to be comfortable and effective! It became clear that the clamp is ideal for long walks, runs, and weight training at the gym. I need to release it every 1 – 1.5 hours to urinate and don’t wear it longer than 2 – 2.5 hours at a time (and never at night).

So, in my experience, briefs/pads, catheter, and clamp all work well providing different benefits depending on what my needs are and the activities I am involved in. I am sure that there are many other ways that people choose to manage their incontinence but I hope you find my experience helpful.

Truth be told sometimes my brief is wet and I don't even realize it. Unless I get a flood it stays dry against my skin

I continue using my sheath and bag whilst in the gym wearing shorts or a tracksuit. I never use a leg bag. From the beginning my consultant advised me of the Conveen Active bag sold by Coloplast. I place it in my pocket, cut a small hole in the lower section of the pocket and connect the flow tube to your sheath. I do this when I'm wearing a suit or shorts, no difference. Wearing a sheath and having the collection bag in my pocket has worked wonders for me. I have an urge /stress incontinence issue so somewhat different to yourself

Used all 3 at various times. All work and have pros and cons. Happy that incontinence has improved to using 1-2 pads per day now.

Thanks Bcarr. Very useful to hear other's experience.

I had my op in September 22. Some progress since then but very slow.

I cope ok at home indoors using pads and going to the toilet frequently. Going out is a nightmare because my pads soon get soggy. I also use a urine bottle when I stand up sometimes and also at the end of a drive, if I can. I've been looking at clamps and will probably get one but I am a bit hesitant as they are quite expensive in the UK.

Hello all. I struggled with incontinence following RP using pull ups and pads for a year and a half during which time I tried physiotherapy to improve my condition. When that wasn't making the progress I'd hoped for I was referred to a surgeon who conducted various tests and confirmed I was a candidate for an AUS implant. Had to wait six months for the day surgery and eight weeks following for activation but now that the implant is activated I couldn't be happier. Works well and while I still use one light pad a day even that is dry most of the time. It is early days with this device for me, however, if it continues to work as it has to date I'll continue to be a happy camper. Of course this should be the last resort but for those who are struggling with pull ups, pads, clamps and catheters, and getting a little down with no improvement in sight, please know there is a solution that is tried and true if you need it.

B...,
Now that you've discovered what everyone else knows...that there is no perfect solution for incontinence...I invite you to join a test group for evaluating our patent-pending external aid. (not yet for sale) After several years of development and testing, we are seeking corroboration of our own optimistic assessment before finding an industry player that will take it to market. (see picture with my profile) Since you do your homework, not to be called a serial tester, of course, you might want to see one more permutation of aids that are or will be available. If interested, pls send a note to amhelp@comcast.net. I'd be happy to forward information on our aid.
Best wishes. Fynlee

I have tried the clamp but over time still needed a pull up I would leak and now I just wear diapers it’s easier to change 3-5 times a day

Don’t use the clamp if you have urgency… ouch! You will push past the clam, and the pressure is something else!

JustAGuy said:
Don’t use the clamp if you have urgency… ouch! You will push past the clam, and the pressure is something else!

I can agree with this statement; my issues stem from extreme urgency and bladder pain - and i couldn't imagine using a clamp. Just no feasable way for someone with bladder spasms.

Sincerely,
Honeeecombs