BPH surgery question

Archives1

Staff member
It's going to be a few months before I can see my main doctor again to discuss how things are going while being on Flomax. My question for all of you that had surgery for BPH, I was wondering what procedure is best. I still have not seen a urologist yet to do the tests to see where I sit for BPH. I understand it can be painful and a long recovery depending on what procedure is done. All info is much appreciated.

I had TURP surgery 4 years ago. The recovery was fairly quick and it took care of all my BPH symptoms, but lab results from the procedure determined I had prostate cancer. Active surveillance until the cancer became more aggressive, had my prostate removed last December, still recovering from that surgery as of now.

Hi - I had the choice of active surveillance for my prostate cancer but decided to go ahead with a prostatectomy. I reasoned that active surveillance just meant giving the cancer more time to spread, better to get rid of it before that happened.

I also had the TURP procedure about 2 1/2 years ago. Prior to the surgery, I had been getting up 2-3 times to urinate during my sleeping time. The procedure itself was easy, but something happened. Since the surgery, I have been getting up to urinate about once an hour and in the interim period I am incontinent (leaking)- having to wear adult "diapers" and pads. So, the key symptom of my BPH has gotten much worse and has negatively affected my health in other ways, mainly due to my lack of good sleep. The urologist who performed the procedure says he doesn't know what happened. I think he screwed up by proceeding with the LURP even after he discovered that I had a raging bladder infection at the time. Now, my bladder has about 15% of the capacity of the normal adult bladder and is apparently very stiff an scarred.

I had the "REZUM" procedure. It was very quick and easy, taking only 5 minutes. I asked for, and received general anesthesia, so it weas painless for me. Recovery was mild with only some burning sensation for about a week, but nothing terrible. There are no wounds to heal or limited activity afterwards.

The results were great for me. The doctor told me it would continue to improve over the next year, which it did.

I would recommend it.

I'm 74, FWIW. I had Green Laser Light Surgery in 2019. It took about 2 hours under anesthesia. The doctor took 65% of my prostate. He left me with a catheter for four days. Things got infected which spread and after several days I had septic shock which sent me to the ER unconscious. The doctor was beside himself with concern, but that was it. The procedure did not help with urgency, frequency, or nocturia all of which were diagnosed as OAB (Over Active Bladder). That is a very long story that was separate from BPH.

The bottom line is to be confident your urologist/surgeon is as good as you can find in your region. I have a friend who had the same procedure done and things went very well for him.

Wow! I'm sorry to hear what happened. Your information will be used while I keep researching. Thank you

@JWT, My pleasure. I don't mean to scare you, but hopefully, all of your research as well as help from this forum will get you super results. Best wishes to you.

Hi-

I had BPH prior to discovery of prostate cancer. I had negative side effects from the BPH medications (Flomax, etc) so I went to the least invasive surgery procedure which is called Urolift. You can look up the details regarding what it is but unfortunately it did not work to relieve urethral strictures. I then went to the more invasive TURP procedure which improved my ability to urinate but still had a weak stream so not 100% satisfied. However, the TURP did reveal that I had prostate cancer (Gleason 3+3=6) so after a short period of surveillance I had a robotic prostatectomy in Aug 2022. With the prostate removed I urinate immediately and like a fire hose so all old BPH symptoms are gone!

MezaJarJarBinks said:
I had the "REZUM" procedure. It was very quick and easy, taking only 5 minutes. I asked for, and received general anesthesia, so it weas painless for me. Recovery was mild with only some burning sensation for about a week, but nothing terrible. There are no wounds to heal or limited activity afterwards.

The results were great for me. The doctor told me it would continue to improve over the next year, which it did.

I would recommend it.