Booster pads!!

Archives1

Staff member
So in the last year I’ve needed to add a booster to my diaper during the day. I’m a pretty active guy and the older I get the worse my incontinence gets and in order to keep our skin healthy and dry I’ve learned to adjust what I wear and how to stay clean and dry. The question I have is how many use boosters and what are your thoughts on them? I’ve been using tranquility and Northshore but the problem I have with these is they are too wide for the diapers I wear and tend to leak out the side because the leak guards don’t hold the booster in. So do any of you use a booster that’s 3” wide or less and what brand are they?

I use Sposie boosters at night they are meant for babies but they are a good size for adults and less expensive and very absorbant

I sometimes add a male guard to my depend real fit or fit flex when im going to be away from home for a while, so that I can change it without taking my shoes and pants off and make the pull up last all day most of the time. I tried diffent booster pads and they wasnt as comfortable for me. I used to also use the poise overnight pad for the same purpose, seems like they was more absorbant that the mens gaurds. Havent used those in years since they are for ladies it can be more awkward if anyone sees them.

I use Total Dry Booster Pad Duo. (order from Vitality Medical). they are 4 inches wide but are soft enough that they narrow when being worn and feel comfortable. I adjust their position so they start taking up liquid at the front end and eventually at the rear end by repositioning them over a few hours. It is skill, I find, that keeps the pull up from actually leaking. I have been using these pads inside dignity compose pull ups which I hear are being discontinued. Tye makes something that is a little nicer and a little more expensive but may give coupons too. They also have two grades of higher absorbing pullups/briefs. They also have a few pads to be worn inside. Order directly from Tye Medical. I find the prices at Vitality and Tye to be lower than at other places more frequently mentioned. and as i’ve said in the past, i do have small leaks and i accept that because i really hate wearing heavier brief, diapers and being so wrapped up. Thats just me. Its a trade off. i use them for urinary and fecal btw. Oh yes, Total Dry makes a full line of other products including i think longer narrower pads (I don’t use them though) Some Total Dry can be ordered from Vitality and you can also order directly.

Try Tye Medical they have a diaper and pad system. If you go to tyemedical.com you can get samples to try

The best i have used to date are the Total Dry Boost Ups, They hold a ton and are able to distribute the wet throughout the diaper. The Ultimate is big, I find the Max almost as absorbent and less bulky, The moderate is great as well. They have adhesive so they stay in place as well. I tend to go a lot fast and they seem to help prevent blowout leaks. These combined with the ABU Ultra or NS Max and I can go most of the day even as a heavy wetter. The Abena's are the next best ones - there are others I like but they dont absorb fast enough or dont fit in the diaper right. Hope this helps. I also have bowel incon and they have been a huge help here as well in maintaining some absorbency when the diaper is heavily soiled. (not to thread hijack but anyone else have this issue with BI and soiled diapers? without a booster they seem to absorb nothing)

Thank you all, Ive tried the tye system before and liked them but once the booster was used they didn’t absorb much at all and seemed to be very big and bunches up once the booster was removed. I will try the total dry boost ups. And see how they work. If anyone else has an idea please feel free to chime in!! Funny thing, when I first researched the booster pad and what people use some people actually use baby diapers or another adult diaper and cut slits in it to get it to flow through. Don’t think I’ll try that but way to be inventive!!

@petejc I double diaper all the time. it really does work for me at least - add some duck tape help hold them tight and keep from expanding too much and getting too bulky. The ABU Simple has a neat trick, you can pull the plastic cover off and not have any of the absorbent gel leak out yet all the fluid passes through. Good luck on trying the other boosters

I do feel doublers are a very good idea, no matter for a outing or just plain everyday, especially if you need help changing. It has given me additional independence. Something I keep trying to achieve in a world of becoming dependent even more

I use the small north shore booster in the north shore surprim pull ups when I use them. Turn the pull ups inside out and put the booster on.

Petejc said:
Thank you all, Ive tried the tye system before and liked them but once the booster was used they didn’t absorb much at all and seemed to be very big and bunches up once the booster was removed. I will try the total dry boost ups. And see how they work. If anyone else has an idea please feel free to chime in!! Funny thing, when I first researched the booster pad and what people use some people actually use baby diapers or another adult diaper and cut slits in it to get it to flow through. Don’t think I’ll try that but way to be inventive!!

I do want and need this to work, going to try as mentioned I think earlier, North Shore too look for answers on what I need and want. I sure don't want bunching up as you mentioned Petejc, and yes even one of my nurses told me, she had some patients using baby diapers in their diaper and found they worked well. But going to keep trying product first before I do there. Very good post!