bone updates: your hips can mess with your spine and your bladder

Archives1

Staff member
After having erratic hip pain since I was 16, over the past year it became constant, both on the external sides of my legs right where the top of my femurs land. Given my profound and agonizing familiarity with it, I easily recognized the constant dull ache to be osteoarthritis. Yesterday I finally dared to bring it up with my orthopedic surgeon. He took x-rays. It turns out I already need hip replacements, UGH! I cannot believe how rotten my bones are, body-wide. One hip is bone-on-bone and the other one soon will be. The tops of both femurs have big bone deformities growing off of them that smash into my pelvis every time I’m sitting down.

Since getting the diagnosis yesterday, I’ve been doing research about how hip osteoarthritis (HOA) can cause your lumbar and sacral vertebrae to slip down onto one another, a condition called spondylolisthesis. One’s pelvic tilt changes by as much as 20° because of HOA. The end result is of course back and pelvic pain, but also nerve impingement in the region, which can involve bladder nerves being pinched and impeded. You can end up with something called hip-spine syndrome.

I didn’t know anything about that until today. My back has been killing me for the past several months in conjunction with the big ramp up in my hip pain suddenly. Now I realize it’s all connected. I feel like my butt sticks out weird lately and it must be because of my hips. The good news is that maybe when I get my hips are replaced some of my back pain may be alleviated, which would be wonderful!!!

So if your back hurts, and your doctor can’t find anything wrong with your spine, tell them to have a look at your pelvis and your hips instead! Maybe some of us have HOA that is bad enough to be causing enough lumbar spinal compression to cause incontinence via Neurogenic Bladder.

“Pain from the lumbar spine, pelvic girdle, and hip overlap as coordinate motion throughout these regions is interrelated. This may present with a structural, kinetic, or physiologic disorder in combined variation. This complex pathology makes for challenging clinical decisions as to which procedures and in what order will provide the greatest benefit. Determining the diagnosis, symptom etiology, and correct treatment remains difficult in the management of Hip and Spine Syndrome.”

Not a very merry Christmas for me.

Having gone through one hip replacement I am on the verge of another. Snow you are right. Worn out hip joints manifests itself in different ways. Back pain being one area. Groin pain was one area that I experienced pain.
Once the left hip was replaced the groin pain was gone. And some of the back pain. The procedure is the least complex of any joint replacement. The newest and best is the Anterior approach versus the posterior, which cuts through muscle. The posterior is easier for the surgeon, but not as much for the patient. I have had friends that had hip replacement on an out patient basis. They were up and going in a few days. My right hip replacement is scheduled for March and am I looking forward to no pain and better walking ability.

One lessen learned is to build up you muscles before surgery! PS find a great surgeon. The scar was less than 2 inches.

@Bobby103 I forgot to say in my initial post that I also have groin pain these days. In’s less intense than the pain on the outsides of my hips. For the past nine years, sex has increasingly been so painful to my entire pelvic region inside and out, as well as my lumbar spine, that I’ve completely given up on it. I can barely move for days afterward, and I can’t enjoy it while it’s going on because it hurts so bad. Maybe there’s hope after hip replacements, though!!!!!!!!

I’ve seen five back doctors in the past 13 years and not one of them told me to get my hips looked at. I read a paper last night from Brigham and Women’s Hospital that said everyone who presents with lumbar pain should also have their hips analyzed.

I agree with you Snow. My internist had no idea why I had groin and back pain. I went to a surgeon to see if an old hernia repair was the issue.No problem. Finally a good friend that had a hip replacement recommended his orthopedic Doc. The rest is history. I have put off the soon to be surgery too long, so go ASAP.
I also have bladder issues, so I don't think all will be cured, but any less pain is a blessing.
The bladder issues have been with me most of my life in varying degrees. That is why I joined this group.
It is so helpful being here most of the time. It is real life and not medical jargon.

My parents have a neighbor who had to retire early because of extreme lumbar pain. He even got back surgery that required a really long and difficult recovery. Unfortunately, it didn’t help him at all! Then they discovered that he needed a hip replacement. So he got one, and now his back pain is mostly gone!!! It’s crazy how much we have to double-check what our doctors are telling us. I really wish I’d had this information 13 years ago.

I can relate to the hip causing pain in the back and be very extreme, groin and leg as well as making incontinence twice as bad... Once I got a hip replacement my back pain has been reduced by at least 1/2 of what was previously. Long recovery after hip replacement but it is well worth afterward.

@PLA4 Thank you very much for your insight. Hip recoveries are easier these days than in the past, supposedly. My friend went back to work in one week and back to her dance class in just three weeks! Hip replacements are infinitely easier than knee replacements.

I got hip replacement surgery year and half ago... Best back pain relief I experienced... Still have back pain due to arthritis but 50% less after surgery was a relief for me. Do your research and make sure you have a good orthopedic surgeon and therapy team.

Ten Days ago I got a steroid shot in my, not replaced. right hip. This was done while visiting my doctor to set up surgery for a new right hip, the left was done a year and a half ago with great success.
I am happy to report that the shot was very successful. I have been nearly pain free since the injection.
So glad this worked even if it is temporary. If only my bladder could be treated as easily.

@Bobby103 Did you primarily receive hip pain relief or did you also receive some back pain relief? Did it hurt much going on? I’ve heard the worse than a knee injection pain. I’ll do it eventually this year.

It did help with the back pain too. It is now starting to wear off but it has been a glorious couple of weeks.
The injection did not hurt anymore than a shot in the arm. The surgeon injected the site with lido-cane first.
Relief was immediate. At least in my case. Good Luck Snow! It may be worth it.
My doc said he usually does it under x ray but it was not available where we were. He stated that he was confident that he could get it right.
He is a great surgeon and has had a lot of experience. So I said if you can't do it no one can.

@Bobby103 What encouraging news! I’ll let you know when I get my first set of hip injections. I change insurance companies on Sptil 1 so I’ll probably wait until then.

@Bobby103 I meant, I change health insurance companies on April 1. Lol, silly typo. I don’t want to pay a $1,500 deductible twice; I only want to pay the deductible when I get the next insurance.

Hip pain definitely causes back pain, atleast in my situation. I have a disease called Avascular Necrosis, I received bilateral hip replacements in August 2015 at the age of 38! Since those replacements I had been having severe sciatica down my right leg for several years. Through many x-rays and scans and finally my dumpy insurance approved MRI, we found out I had spinal stenosis and severely buldged L5/S1. Finally in 2020 I received an L5/S1 fusion, the surgery that resulted in enuresis and full on urge incontinence

@ChefMike6329

Sorry to hear your back surgery was a disaster. That’s why I refuse to have it myself. Most people I talk to who’ve had it ended up worse off afterwards. One day I’ll probably have to succumb to back surgery, however, or . . . ? kill myself because of the endless pain? I won’t know the answer until I get there.

Wow, also sorry to hear about your hip disease; what a major bummer! I didn’t even now osteonecrosis existed! How are your hip replacements holding up? Did they help? I took a class where they were talking about the things you can’t do anymore after a hip replacement (like putting your hip/leg all the way back, or falling) and I didn’t really like those answers. Do you find yourself very limited by the hip replacements?

Are you a skier or snowboarder by chance, and if so, can you do those activities again after hip replacements? You can do them after knee replacements but I don’t know if I will because I’ll be so anxious that I can’t fall that I’m sure I *will* fall! I think I’ll feel like a robot after getting both my knees and both my hips replaced. How about hiking; can you do that?