Bladder control

Archives1

Staff member
I'm just trying to find out when I can expect bladder control after prostate removal surgery. Surgery was 4 weeks ago and had catheter out 1 week ago today. Just getting a little depressed and wondering if I made a mistake opting for surgery. Thanks

Its been 5 months for me and I had it for prostate cancer. Still have problems but doc said you will get as good as you will be after a year.

Im 72 and had 2 previous bph laser surgery. I want better but at least i dont have cancer anymore...so far. I am kayaking tomorrow and did a big 12 mile r/t hike in tje smokies a month ago. It aint perfect yet.

I tjink.the younger you are and thr more experienced surgeon you have, the better. My cath was only in 10 days

Thanks I'm 56 and was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a year ago and after a 2nd biopsy it moved a little bit in the prostate. They said I could stay on active surveillance for another year but I was not mentally able for that. The surgeon said there was no spreading and I had the best possible outcome. I just hate all the leaking and being wet all the time. Iam thankful that the cancer is gone.

My mate had his prostate removed and it probably saved his life as the cancer could have spread as it was pretty bad. He has never gained complete control since and it is over a year probably nearer 2 sine his op.

I'm a 47 year old that had my prostate removed 18 months ago, and I am still struggling to stop leaking late in the day as my muscles become fatigued. Fortunately, I am now cancer free and seem to still be improving, but it has been, and remains a very frustrating experience, particularly because as a relatively young guy in otherwise excellent health, I thought I would fully recover much faster. My advice is to take Kegel exercises seriously and limit carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic drinks as much as possible. You will get there in time. Good luck.

Hi. I'm 6 months post surgery and although good at night and sitting down, I have no control still when walking. It's very frustrating and you need to be patient. Good luck!

Hi Brendon,
I so remember the feeling you describe after the first few weeks and having nil bladder control, and 'wishing' I'd never had the damn surgery! Hang in there....do your kegel exercises, and you'll hopefully get better going forward. I had my prostate surgery at the end of February, and had my catheter out on March 9th....I found that I improved every 2 weeks or so and now I am way better, and only have the very occasional 'dribble'...If I don't improve any further then I can live with as things are now, but I still expect to improve during the next few months.....it's early days for you mate.

Brendan,
Like you I had my surgery on June 30, 4 weeks ago. I got a good pathology report after the surgery. I am leaking when I walk and towards the end of the day. I’m relatively dry at night. I think we are both in the early stages of recovery. I am hopeful that we will be as good as new more and more everyday.

Brendan,
I see you are from Ireland. I am a dual citizen with Ireland and the US. Where did you have your surgery? What county are you in?

Brendan, you're choosing life without mystery when having surgery; the alternative can't be that great. I'm ten years post surgery and remain a moderate to severe leaker. A message I've shared several times here is that you can manage the leakage and enjoy a normal hassle free day. In my case, I impede the leakage using a soft silicone sleeve device that occludes the urethra. I now typically use a single liner per day or two (unless I'm golfing) to complete the management "system." The details are that the device is patent pending by an engineer partner and I and is not yet for sale (other devices each with issues are also available). Though we are about to seek a licensee partner, we will accept additional volunteers who can try it out and offer feedback for our database. More info is available, should you not see measurable improvement in a reasonable period of time. Best wishes to you. Fynlee amhelp@comcast.net

I'm actually from New York and like you I also have dual citizenship. I had my surgery at the mater hospital in Dublin on June 30th. I have been living on Ireland for 11 years now.

Brendan, hang in there. I had surgery on January 2 and my catheter out on January 14. I think it probably took about 2 months before I was able to go to a thin pad. I was on pull-ups after the catheter removal and then on regular pads for a couple of months. The regular pad usage went from 10 a day to 1 in about 2 months and then I went to thin pads. I have (had) no leakage while sitting or lying down in bed since about 2 months after the catheter removal. When I started the thin pads, I felt "leakage", but continued replacing the pads uuntil using only one a day about the 4.5 month mark. I've been using one thin pad a day (even when I don't feel I need it, but I want to be sure that I have no "accidents" that would show or smell in public. Stay the course!!! You WILL get it under control. Do the Kegels (3 reps of 10 [with a 5 second rest in between each exercise] each day) and WALK - a lot! It will get better. My doctor said I was a "Poster Child" for recovery, but stay positive! I am 76 years old.

Hi Brenden!
I had prostate surgery on March 18. I have been dry at night pretty much since the beginning. But once I’m up I leak the rest of the day. It’s been 4 months and there hasn’t been any improvement. I go through 10 to 12 pads a day. It’s pretty depressing. I’m also wondering if I made the wrong choice.

I wish you the best on your recovery. I did not have that type of operation so I can’t imagine what you are going through. My neighbor had prostate Pinpoint radiation therapy and he is doing great. I hope and pray the same for you
All my best

@Brendan

Would you give an update on how you have progress? Also would you talk some about the depression - what helped, when it gets better. I am at day 49 (7 weeks) and am struggling with being angry at Prostate Cancer.

Thank you,
Terry