Best solution when being active

Archives1

Staff member
A few thoughts first, and then I am hoping others would contribute their experiences and recommendations.

I find briefs (diapers) the best solution to manage my incontinence in general, as they are reliable, and there aren't any tubes or bags to manage. When I am active, i.e. I play sports or run or hike, they can become a problem because they can start to chafe. If I play tennis for 2 or 3 hours, then briefs work well as long as I choose thinner briefs. But if I go for a run, even as short as a 30 minute run, or if I go hiking, then there is a heightened risk of chafing. I don't always get chafing, but if I do it quickly becomes a problem during a hike, painful, especially if I still have hours to go until my destination. I have had bad experienced with indwelling catheters when running, so try to avoid having them in when being active.

I imagine that external catheters are best suited for situation where I move a lot, such as running or hiking. But I have never gotten comfortable with them. I tried the "Men's Liberty" and it gave me more confidence. What do you guys do? What do you use when being active? Pads, briefs, condom catheters? What kinds of condom catheters do you use when being active? Long, short, glue-on, Men's Liberty...? What kinds of bags? Calf, thigh, hip, large, small...? Is anyone running a tube down their leg and just letting their urine flow to the ground? What tips and tricks do you have? Any insight is appreciated.

what kind of back-sheet are you using I cannot use the cloth like as they tend to chafe and even wick moisture I do not get the chafing with plastic covered especially if I use talcum powder

@NoCans: I cannot find the "GoSupreme" at Northshore. Which ones do you mean?

@DPCARE: plastic or cloth always lead to chafing, especially if there's sweating involved.

I have only ever used briefs/diapers and have found the tena slips and molicare comfort supers with the breathable sides work very well and I don't ever get chafing. I've tried pull up style and they just move around too much and eventually leak