Best cotton briefs to hold pads in place

Archives1

Staff member
some of my cotton briefs stretch or have to big of leg opening. That allows pad to shift off of penis and when i am incontinant it leaks around then. Stocky build

Understand completely. Maybe you can find one that is a cotton and Lycra blend. That way it’s still comfy but stays snug enough to keep all our pieces and parts in place.🙂

That makes complete sense, @jrpoorman. I think by reading Doug's comments that a loose fit is the culprit here. And too big a leg opening is definitely a recipe for the shifting pad disaster! :(
Of course a well-fitted leg opening is mandatory when buying disposable undergarments and it's no different with cotton briefs. And a cotton and Lycra blend that is comfy and snug, well what could be better? :D:D

Wait till you have one of those pads come out and go down one of your pant legs! The best I found was boxer briefs and they loosen up after a while so they have to be replaced more often from my experience.

Its just happened twic this week, not before. Luckily I was in jeans. The underwear it happened with was the sa.e brand both times. A lot of junk stuff out there. Most of my cottons hold it in place but as they age they stretch.
Come to think of it I have recently given up the depends underpabts which i wore in tandem with the pad. Now the pad alone pushes leg openings away from the body

Doug said:
some of my cotton briefs stretch or have to big of leg opening. That allows pad to shift off of penis and when i am incontinant it leaks around then. Stocky build
try Separatec, they're great and have a dual pouch system, so easy to get Percy out with them.

@Doug Having never used an underwear pad I am not sire if this is a good suggestion or not. I've found my Under Armour boxer briefs to be very comfortable and good for sports/active. They are not cotton but to me comfortable and supportive.

I haven't done UnderArmour boxer briefs, J.T., but it sounds like it would be quite appropriate for using pads. Certainly comfort and support is a big plus! If they are snug and well-made then very likely good for pads.

FLGuy, I looked at the ad and it seems like they would be very appropriate for pads, etc. Admittedly I'm not familiar with Abena but they also seem reasonably priced as well. Thank you for suggesting we order a size smaller because that way they would make the pad even snugger and less likely to slip out.
There is a disclaimer that says due to high demand some sizes may be out and also there may be shipping delays. But everyone who is interested, go check it out!:D

Ordered some Abri and not sure which separetec style to order. How does it keep a pad liner from moving; does the pad fit in the pouch?

I use the trunk style. The front pouch only holds the penis and the underneath pouch holds the testicles. I use external catheters and Coloplast's active bag and rip the leg band off and put the bag down the front of my pants with my penis tucked up in the front pouch. I am not so sure the pouch system will work well with wearing a pad but it is brilliant with external catheters.

Abena Abri Fix and Allanda iD Expert Ultra unisex fixation pants work well for me. They are similar to women's full-sided net briefs without gusset. There is no front exit. Because they are high waist and stretchy they can be pulled down to use the 'up and over' route. I find the legs tend to be tight so there is no chance of popping out there, and because they can stretch up past my navel there is no need to pop out there either. I do not know what they are made of.

billliveshere said:
I haven't done UnderArmour boxer briefs, J.T., but it sounds like it would be quite appropriate for using pads. Certainly comfort and support is a big plus! If they are snug and well-made then very likely good for pads.

Yes Bill, Now when I wear the RealFits at night I usually wear some Under Armour over them to help keep down the 'crinkle' noise (that probably is only obvious to me).

I also wear them during sports and active stuff. they are comfortable and support where needed for my kayaking and biking. Try some.

I started with underwear liners a number of years ago. Switch from boxers to boxer briefs to hold the pad in place better. boxer briefs are basically tighter fitting boxers. I still had to constantly adjust where I was positioned on the pad. To many times I missed the pad (especially sitting (like in the car)). After a couple of years of trying different styles (or maybe shapes and absorbency is a better term) I gave up and moved to pull up briefs (diaper). Initially it was a tough decision (more of a mental thing) but looking back I would never go back to a pad in my underwear. Understand too, my conditioned has worsened to where I would need a thicker pad anyhow. But the comfort level is so much better. The pad is built into the underwear not stuck on it. I find its a larger absorbency area so it contours to the shape of my body better (makes a trough between my legs). In addition the absorbency area goes higher in the back. Because the pad really cant move like the stick on ones I find it is so much more comfortable to wear. When I was wearing underwear inserts it seemed if I wore them "correctly" there was more coverage above my outlet then below when pointed in the natural direction. (hopefully I'm not being to graphic but as man I think you know exactly what I am describing). What this meant for me even if I was positioned correctly the absorbency of the pad below the outlet would get saturated and leak. (at the time I was only experiencing mild urge incontinence but would have significant "squirts" and post dribble). Every one has to use and do what works best for them but for me (and anyone who ask my opinion) I give a recommendation for pull up briefs. There are many brands and absorbency available some experimentation may be required to get what works best for you. I wear prevail for men in overnight absorbency. Very rarely do I have leaking issues. (of course you may have to change depending on your level of incontinence but that would include underwear inserts also). I would recommending getting samples if possible or just buying a bag and trying them before committing to a case of something. Cost wise I moved from a higher quality pad insert to pull up briefs I want to say $.20-$.25 more each. So even from a cost standpoint its not a lot of increase.

I used depends briefs for a while, then had to add depends pads. That way if i get too wet i can just slowly remove the pad and add new one. I still do pads alone in tight Fruit of the loom briefs, but only if I wearing jeans. Khakis are out unless I wear depends underwear plus the pad.
Doing it this way allows me to change very easily if i get full or just want to feel wet to any degree. If i wore only depends underwear or other brands then it would require a room to change. This way it takes 30 seconds

Hi @Tim, I've been that stick-on pad route, too although not recently! And for the reasons you described, I now much prefer the pull-up type, simply because the pad doesn't move. And also there is no risk of not positioning correctly so the pad is unable to absorb below the "outlet." That has happened to me a few times and I think Tena pads for men are notorious for that. Others may disagree but their pad is wider at the top and doesn't have enough coverage at the bottom. Simply, there is too much material where I don't need it and not nearly enough where I do need it! But they were on sale and the price was reasonable. You get what you pay for!:O
I stand by your recommendation for pull-up briefs. I like the Prevail maximum. They are most comfortable and absorbent. And I also think their Prevail for men overnight absorbency are also good. I would indeed buy them again if I can get a good price. Since they are just a little bit thicker I will more likely use them when the weather is cooler and the waterworks produce more!:)

Thanks billiveshere. its interesting you mention tena. Those were the exact ones I was using towards the end. The positive was they are plastic backed. the negative as you said was the shape. Wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. For me they also stopped short in my underwear.
(meaning they didn't go up in the back at all.)I also thought the tape was weak.
Mentally I struggled for a few weeks about wearing a "diaper" during the day outside the house, but within a few weeks I was over it. biggest reason? Comfort!I could not believe how aggravating the underwear inserts were to use. And really for what? Pride? fear? I dont know what. But it's been about 4 years now since I converted to pull ups during the day and unless something changes I would not go back to regular underwear with a liner. That's also due to the need for more absorbency. The larger pads I tried to use were really uncomfortable after a few hours and looking at them one might as just wear a diaper and be done with it.
I do see Dougs point though in the sense of the inconvenience of changing. I am fortunate that I usually have access to bathrooms with stalls so I can create a little privacy to change in. If I didn't have that I might have to rethink what I do.