AUS ACTIVATED !!

Dear Lawlord,
Did your surgeon say anything about how your radiated tissue might respond to the AUS device? Tks for any thoughts.

@Charva One week out from surgery and only some swelling and mild discomfort in the area of the incision. No driving yet but hope to get an okay this week. I look forward to the activation in 5 weeks.

I'm delighted that the AUS is such a success. I have to say I'm amazed at a surgeon doing a prostatectomy for someone in their 80s. I am from N Ireland and my understanding is that here they are reluctant to do even for someone in their 70s. Could I ask you guys who have recently had the AUS what level of leakage you were experiencing before you decided on the op. I am one year post op and some days where I am less active my leakage can be in single figures ( millitres) . On other occasions it can be in double figures. In terms of pads, yes one level three would do all day but I tend to prefer a lighter shield , changed more often.

Before the operation I would use 3 to 4 pads a day.....a nightmare! Now life has returned to normal thanks to
AUS surgery! Get it!

Thanks 20lawlorg. I have a lot less leakage most days and still considering this option. As I am just a year out since the op I am going to wait at least 6 months before making a decision. I have read that there can be improvement even up to 2 years. Thanks again and keep us posted

I am 2.5 years post-RP, and 21 months post-salvage radiation. At 4 months post-radiation, I began having serious leakage and OAB symptoms. The docs put me in PT, but the leakage just got worse, maxing out at 40-45 ounces per day. They then put me on MYBETRIQ, which cut my leakage to 20-30 ounces per day. Eight months ago, they injected me with 200ccs of Botox, which has cut my leakage to 15-20 ounces/day, and deadened my OAB symptoms. So, I decided to implant the AUS this coming June. Still left unresolved will be the OAB symptoms (occasional urge, occasional cramps), but if I can get dry, I’ll take it.

Alwayssinging said:
AUS surgery was this morning. 2 1/2 hours and then 1 hour in recovery and then back home. Feeling pretty good for now but day three could be very uncomfortable according to the surgeon. I am excited for the final outcome in six weeks. It has been three years since my radical prostatectomy and hundreds of briefs. I am ready for some normalcy. Thank you to all who have discussed this here in the past three years. It led me to the decision to have it done and I have appreciated the information so many have shared here. This is a great forum for all of us. I will update as I move forward through the final few weeks to activation.

AUS was activated on Tuesday afternoon and I have been dry ever since. I will continue to wear a pad until I resume full activity just to be sure I don’t leak at all. What a joy to be able to wear actual underwear again after three years!

My AUS is scheduled for implantation on 28 June, after 2.5 years. Please do post how your journey keeps going - normal urination every 1 hour? Two hours? Completely dry or the occasional leakage? Easy to find and manipulate the button? Do you keep it engaged at night?

Everything is normal. Just like before incontinence. Completely dry. Just press the button once or twice to activate and pee like a racehorse!!! No nighttime issues for me.

Going in 2 days for AUS. Anything I should know? Only one year out from RP but cannot get out of diapers. Too much leakage to use pads. Any tips would be appreciated.
Boomer59

20lawlorg
I hope so, it’s funny but more nervous about this surgery than the RP. Thanks for the positive feedback.
Boomer

Boomer. I hope the operation goes well and in a few short weeks you will see the benefits in improved quality of life. Do keep us posted

Using AUS for 3 months now. Occasional light leakage but easy to manage with pads. Maybe two pads per day versus 8-10 previous to the surgery. Glad I had the surgery.