ARTIFICIAL URINARY SPHINCTER

Archives1

Staff member
I have stress incontinence along with OAB (Overactive Bladder). Does anyone have the same and have an AUS? If so, could you please tell me the good and the bad. Does the AUS help with the OAB? I had a Prostatectomy in 1/2020 gleason 3+3 with nothing outside the margins and have been incontinent with OAB ever since. Thanks any information would be greatly appreciated as I am considering an AUS.

Joer
I had an RP in august 2024 with incontinence post op. After some initial improvement recovery did not improve much. In august of 2023 I had an AUS placed. I am now pretty much dry unless I lift something heavy or sneeze- then I dribble a few drops. While I was not diagnosed with overactive bladder I did notice that I did have some urgency when my bladder fills a bit. I feel that it’s likely just telling me that I need to retrain my bladder to hold some volume. My incontinence was so bad that for a year my bladder was empty as whatever went in trickled right back out. This urgency is slowly getting better. I have not tried medication or even addressed it with my urologist.
I’m happy with the decision to get the AUS.
Hope this helps in some way.
Boomer

I’m happy with my AUS also. Had RP Feb 2023 then back surgery 6 mos later which didn’t help. Was leaking 300-500ml / day with basically no control. Had AUS surgery 3 months ago. Almost no leaking. It feels great to be dry again. Truly life changing for me.