Anxiety and bedwetting

Archives1

Staff member
I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety and it has caused my bedwetting to return. Anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

Imipramine is an antidepressant that might help with both the anxiety and bedwetting. Ask your provider about it.

Hi Robert,

If you speak with your GP, they can refer you for a continence assessment and provide you with protection to wear. Invest in a good quality mattress protector and buy a few so you can have one on, one spare and one in the wash.

Anxiety and bedwetting often go together. I had the same problem for a while in my 30's after being dry for a good while. When my worries subsided my bedwetting went away for a while at least.

Yep, my bedwetting issues are predominantly physiological, but I am more likely to wake up wet if I go to bed feeling stressed.

Hi Robert and All,

I can support the theory that bedwetting can be a related response to anxiety. For myself I am a very infrequent bedwetter having on average only one to two wet nights a month. However I can confirm from personal experience that when I am stressed out about something my chances of peeing the bed that night increases. And if the stress is prolonged over a period of time the chance of me wetting the bed several times during that time period also increases. When the stressor is lower or gone then I go back to my infrequent random for no reason bedwetting pattern.

I remember one time when there was something very important for work going on and it was stressing me out. I had five wet nights in one week during that time. The bedwetting did not help the situation. In addition to stressing over the work issue I then added more stress to myself worried that I was becoming a more frequent bedwetter and that people would find out.

Stress/anxiety for sure can be tied to an increase in bedwetting for us.

JT

My anxiety related to bedwetting has mainly been about whether or not I would wet while asleep.The need to change the sheets and put everything through the laundry was mainly what I fretted about. My solution to that anxiety has been simply never to go to bed without wearing a high-capacity diaper, such as a MegaMal or Confidry 24/7.

I had high anxiety about my wetting issues as a teenager. Zero control at night and daytime leaking issues as well. How in the heck can a teenage boy not have anxiety about this? Fortunately now at my age just staying protected 24/7 has made life so much easier. No anxiety, and basically no concern.