Alcoholic Beverages & Reaching Continence

Archives1

Staff member
Hi- Did a quick search and only found a couple of posts dealing with the effects of alcholic beverages (primarily beer) on incontinence. My question is a little different. Does moderate intake of a alcoholic beverage (in my case, beer and/or wine) inhibit recovery from incontinence? Its common knowledge that alcoholic beverages increase bladder activity/urine output. Does this increased activity overwhelm the urethra and remaining sphincter healing from the prostatectomy?

I am 66 years old and had my RP 10 months ago. I have made good progress towards continence and am using a couple of light pads per day and am dry at night. I do kegals daily and had PT for 3 months following surgery. Regarding my alcoholic beverage intake, I am dry Mon-Thur but enjoy moderate intake of wine and beer Fri-Sunday.

Thanks.

I'm 2yrs out myself. I do experience a little more leaking with drinking. Mostly beet and Bourbon, I just use bathroom more often.

I've always envied the people that will give up alcohol or sugar or whatever they are told will help them recover from this cancer or that cancer. I am 5 months out from my prostatectomy and yes, my incontinence is still present, though improving steadily. I figure that I had the surgery so I could live longer, but why live longer if life will be a fun-less drudge? So I have cocktails in moderation. They help make life a little more fun.

Hello bcarr. I am also 66, and 14 months post RP. I've plateaued at one Tena pad per day, but like you dry at night. I plan to live my life as close to before the surgery, so I haven't stopped drinking altogether, but do have more NA beers than before. I have not noticed any more leakage with moderate alcohol intake, ( one or two drinks, doesn't matter what, beer, spirits or wine), but on occasion when exceeding 4 drinks or more, I definitely have less control. Hope this helps and good luck.

Its amazing how you can educate your taste buds. I had a bit of a battle with H Pylori ( a stomach bug) At that time I switched from a normal caffeinated tea to a Rooboos tea and from normal milk to oat milk. Now I don't even think about the difference. Reducing the caffeine of course is important for incontinence. I don't take any coffee and now don't miss it. I don't take alcohol or fizzy drinks either but I don't consider myself missing out on the fun. You simply reeducate your taste buds, I guess like someone who has decided to become vegetarian or vegan. A more pressing issue for me is still a degree of incontinence - like so many who have just posted, improved a lot since the catheter was removed but still needing one bigger pad or a couple of light ones daily and dry at night.

Just thinking a little more about the fun. Still suffering from post op ED. That has spoiled the fum a bit for sure but being positive about finding the best possible solution in this new normal is the only way to restore this aspect of the fun in life

Well, it's not quite like that with me. Beer is naturally diuretic and you get quickly a "volume problem" in the bladder - but that has little to do with the alcohol.

The alcohol has a relaxing effect on the muscles. I think it depends on the reason for the incontinence, how alcohol works. With me it is rather so that I have difficulties to urinate. I suffer from a neurogenic bladder disorder and also from BPH. When my bladder spasms, it generates 3 - 4 times the of the normal bladder pressure, which then leads to spontaneous emptying - slowed down by the constriction caused by the prostate, which then leads to residual urine. When I drink alcohol I have the feeling that the bladder no longer builds up so much pressure. As a result, I manage to hold it more often but then have more residual urine.

The disadvantage of the thing is that I then get out on the toilet only very little - which is even worse because the bladder starts then to spasm even more often and in worst case I get it out only with a catheter ...

From there: Yes - right, alcohol can cause something like that - but that's not a solution.

Hbrownlow said:
Just thinking a little more about the fun. Still suffering from post op ED. That has spoiled the fum a bit for sure but being positive about finding the best possible solution in this new normal is the only way to restore this aspect of the fun in life

How are you getting on now with the ED 8 months on? Have (had) you tried anything like injections, pills etc?
I am 18 months in from my RP and everything works now, for which I am greatful. Mind you I still take 25mg Vedafil daily but at least I'm not using a needle anymore. I reckon within 6 more months I'll need little or no help.....hopfully.

Almost 2 years post op and still need the vacuum pump although I was nerve sparing on one side. The incontinence has actually got a lot worse because I have been struggling with a cough/ head cold for weeks on end. I am currently using a conveen and leg bag as I cope with the cough

I’m 4 years since surgery and I enjoy a few beers in the evening. I usually stop around 8pm and never really had issues.