Air out? Who does it?

Archives1

Staff member
So, I got an issue and I am going to try not to be too much TMI and would like some understanding if it is TMI.

I have a sore from bad toilet paper that is raw on my butt.

My Mom suggested that I try to air out and go without a diaper or pullup due to a sore spot I have.

What happens from time to time is the skin in my butt crack and legs cracks gets very dry and then well, chacks. Ugg. I use cream, and cleaner when this happens but this time it has taken longer to not be sore than normal.

So I talked to my mom about it and she said it use to happen to me when I was a baby and what she would do is let me air out during the day when she could be around to clean up any mess I would make.

I have chuxs and stuff so It is not impossible but with bowel issues, I am like, "Yea I don't want to clean up that mess."

The other issue is that with any of the diapers I have used (Betterdry, Dry24/7, Abena) if I use cream ( Balmex, Destin, Aquaphor) then the leak guards break apart and are useless.

Cannot sleep without leak guards so.

Does anyone else have this issue and have some tips?

Yep, I’ve had the same issue many times and I have just been adimate with the desiring and soak in the tub when I can for at least a 1/2 hour. But airing out isn’t always an option but I have done this before just had to be very careful. I will sit on my chair with a diaper under me not taped up and just let things air out for a bit with a blanket over me. You can also use bacitracin on the sores to help them heal quicker too.

You could cut a brief in half so that it only covers your front, and use a cloth diaper to contain any loss from your bowel (I assume your discharge is in liquid form), changing as quickly as possible or as necessary. This will obviously require that you stay in proximity to your bathroom, but you do want to get as much air to the area as you can. As well, you may require a prescription for an ointment or cream to do battle with the infection / sores. Your doctor may be willing and able to fax a script to your pharmacy. Good luck.

Another way I did this and still do, is I used to go up on the roof of my building in the city (3 story Brownstone) so not too high and lay naked on a towel with a pad underneath. The sun has amazing healing power in small doses! My Urologist taught me this to help heal rashes. I still do it in my bedroom or home office depending where the sun is. I also use epsom salt baths, they tend to dry things like this up quite quickly.
As far as the leak guards go, I have the same issue, so I always wear a pair of Kins lightweight taffeta pants over the disposables, and they keep the odors to a minimum as well. I’d highly recommend to give them a try, they’re quite comfortable,silent, weigh nothing and if i have a bowel incident it’s contained. Not a single leak in years and the creams don’t affect them like vinyl.
Good luck!

yes airing out allowing your diaper area to breathe can be essential in preventing skin issues just hink about your skin being trapped in a very humid area especially if you use plastic baked diapers like I do the so-called breathable diapers can be a help but I have never had any luck with cloth-like covered diapers and if it's breathable it can also breathe out odors, your skin needs air to be healthy so a good airing out is essential. I sit on disposable underpads when I am airing out a good time to ar out is after a shower I will sit on a Chux-pad and air-dry

When I was a teen we used to use sunlamps for tanning. Maybe these are still available. I have eczema on my feet and find that the sun helps that too.

I’ve had a similar issue a number of times. Aside from drying out, two things to try are an antibiotic ointment or an anti fungal ointment such as one usually used on athlete’s foot. In my case, the sores are more often caused by a fungal than by a bacterial infection. On a couple of occasions, I’ve had to see a doctor. GOOD LUCK1

You could try a tanning salon so as not to break the law. A plain old bed would cost about $5 per tan.

It’s true that babies are sometimes left without a diaper for a day for this very reason. Maybe you can do it in the morning and not eat or drink until after you do it.

One time when I had a series of yeast infections, I had a doctor who told me to blow dry my crack after every time I shower. It works!

FLGuy - Thank you for sharing your issue with us. This is one of the great things about this forum; we don't have to be ashamed to talk about stuff! All the advice above is great. When I had my first baby in 1960 and tore pretty bad, the doctor had a heat lamp on me for four days every few hours to heal the stitches. I've also used a small fan and a hair dryer. If I have a mushy bowel I use a wet-wipe and throw it in the trash. Otherwise, last year, I bought a product from a "gift" catalog called Fresh As A Daisy and I squirt 3-5 times onto my Charmin tissue. It is made of water, witch hazel, aloe leaf juice and several other ingredients that look safe! www.PureValley.com. It is very soothing to wipe on raw and sore butts.

As far as putting something on to heal the rash, Desitin is a quick healer and a skin barrier. I used it on my grandson when he had a diaper rash per the pediatricians advice. He got a rash from a certain brand of diaper and when I called the 800 number and told a rep about it she denied that they had ever had a complaint. It's been 18 years so I don't remember which brand it was. But I have used Desitin ever since then.

Also I want to mention that some of the pads have carcinogenic material in them which might be a big problem. When I asked my doctor about that she told me to not wear them at night. For bedwetting that would be a problem I know. What? You should sleep on a bedpan????

@ThatFLGuy Rashes are a real pain. For me it's my inner thighs that are most prone to developing rashes.

I try to set aside some time to be nappy free and I'll lie on a disposable bed pad. I've also got some towelling lined plastic training pants which I use around the house if my skin is bad. Fortunately if I keep a regular osteopathy appointment the likelihood of bowel accidents is greatly reduced.

In terms of prevention a combination of rash cream (Sudocrem) and baby powder with each change is the only thing that keeps rashes at bay for me. It also varies from brand to brand for me. I think I remember you mentioned using BetterDry/Crinklz in other threads. They worked well for me so switched to using them pretty much exclusively but then noticed I was getting a lot more rashes. I've since switched to other brands and have noticed an improvement (which is a pain as the BetterDry/Crinklz are good value for money!)

My rashes now tend to be a result of not changing often enough as if I haven't had an accident and I'm out and about it's easier to just keep the same product on rather than trying to find a suitable toilet. Also, my skin was at its worst when I was living in my old flat and couldn't wash properly every day due to how inaccessible the bathroom was with my mobility issues. I now use hypoallergenic shower gel and try to shower day which has really helped.

Re the rawness after wiping - when my IBS worsened and I started having multiple bowel movements a day I switched to using flushable toilet wipes - much softer on the skin and a really good clean.

The flushable toilet wipes are probably not. The Waste Treatment Facility here in Albuquerque says don't flush them as they have to fish the wipes out of the waste water. The Walmart brand has an information blurb pretty well hidden in the wrapper fold that tells you this.

Absolutely correct the so-called flushable wipes will clog the MUFFIN MONSTER

ritanofsinger said:
The flushable toilet wipes are probably not. The Waste Treatment Facility here in Albuquerque says don't flush them as they have to fish the wipes out of the waste water. The Walmart brand has an information blurb pretty well hidden in the wrapper fold that tells you this.

I got it cleared up. I never flush wipes no matter what.

I got two packs of these Tena Proskin wipes and with my other creams, it took care of it.

I did try to air out lucky I had a pack of cheap chuxs. Did it right after a bath so I was good for a few minutes.