After my prostatectomy, Kegels never worked for me, so ...

Archives1

Staff member
Ever hear it said that the best exercise for playing a sport is playing that sport? Well, after my prostatectomy, Kegels went nowhere for me. So I tried a simple approach: While standing at a urinal or toilet, I let the flow go to maximum, then tried to shut it off completely just squeezing with pelvic muscles. Let the flow go again, then try to squeeze down and shut it off again. I could do this a 3 or four times, every trip to the john.

I wasn’t good at it at first, but after 3-4 days the improvement was amazing. I could shut the stream off completely 5-6 times every time I went. After 2-3 weeks of this, my bladder control was almost normal.

No floor exercise, just normal peeing — try to shut it off (hold it a second, if you can) —- let it go —- shut it off again, etc. etc. You probably wont be very good at this at first either, but it gets better really fast.

Yeah. Why my nurse, who never stood at a urinal in her life, would think that an exercise for postpartum women would help me, I dunno. I guess that’s what they teach them. Well, she was a very nice person with good intentions, the Kegels just did nothing for me. Others may be right that I just wasn’t doing them “properly,” but I followed the instruction sheets and nothing good happened. Taking care of it while just normally urinating was far, far easier and it worked really fast. I’m 16 years post-prostatectomy and hadn’t thought about this in many years, til a friend asked me.

What ever works is good. I would say that what you are doing is a pelvic floor exercise just not strictly a Kegel. My therapist has me doing a number of exercises from Kegels to bridges and bent knee fall outs. Seven weeks out from surgery and am using 1 pad a day. Most leaks are when I lift or move too fast. No leaks at night from the start. I hope this improvement continues.

Kegals didn't work for me, either- though in my case, the cause is a combination of damage from a catheter and neurologically based oab. But I never allow myself to let go- I am always trying to hold it in. Unfortunately, when the urge happens, holding it almost always triggers the passing of urine. Still, I haven't allowed myself to just let it flow. I'm stubborn, or so I'm told. Doing it the way I do, hasn't made any difference- I usually have little warning, and even less time before an episode is over and done with. The blessing for me is that not every every trip to the bathroom (or need for same) falls into the category of incontinence. Sometimes everything is normal. Now, if I could only predict it- or schedule it...

Jack2004 said:
Ever hear it said that the best exercise for playing a sport is playing that sport? Well, after my prostatectomy, Kegels went nowhere for me. So I tried a simple approach: While standing at a urinal or toilet, I let the flow go to maximum, then tried to shut it off completely just squeezing with pelvic muscles. Let the flow go again, then try to squeeze down and shut it off again. I could do this a 3 or four times, every trip to the john.

I wasn’t good at it at first, but after 3-4 days the improvement was amazing. I could shut the stream off completely 5-6 times every time I went. After 2-3 weeks of this, my bladder control was almost normal.

No floor exercise, just normal peeing — try to shut it off (hold it a second, if you can) —- let it go —- shut it off again, etc. etc. You probably wont be very good at this at first either, but it gets better really fast.

I had a huge benign prostate burned out 95% with the Thulium laser, which is the ONLY laser that can burn out prostates over 50 gm. Mine was 148 gm, which is quite large.

The skilled surgeon who did this is the only surgeon in the whole Midwest that has both the laser and the extensive training in Italy.

However, it is now 3 months after surgery. I thought leakage had improved, and then it started to get worse and worse. Kegels have done NOTHING for me. I cannot even have a small mandarin orange at, say 9pm, when I don't go to sleep until 1am. I place a folder in half, industrial white paper towel on top of the diaper, which I have a stick on bladder-guard pad. Yet, I will wake up every 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. with it soaked, and worse, about 1/3 the time, as a side-sleeper, despite having sized the Pamper to fit snug, leakage going into the side of the diaper cotton, and the gray "spandex" edging of the diaper.

Half the time, I don't even have enough urine come out to do your stoppage and startage technique.
During the day, when I drink modest amount of liquid, and maybe a small medium size tomato, I am able to do your technique.

What has any of this done? NOTHING! I'm sick of squeezing as hard as I can the Kegel muscles.

I'm now very worried that I will be incontinent permanently. My doctor's resident, who I spoke to last week, asked me many questions, and since (on the phone) it seems I do not have bladder retention, nor does pressing on my bladder seem to have any retention. I can't go to the doctor, for perhaps months, because of Corona, and the latest discoveries of how very contagious it is.

So, the resident did bring up that I may have too loose a sphincter muscle, which the only solution is a horrid, horrid surgery, making multiple cuts above your pubic area, placing a 'sling' with titanium screws, which often requires up to FOUR revision surgeries, as it needs readjustment. Then, you can never have an MRI, which I will need in the future for various other maladies.

I'm so depressed, I wish I never had the surgery.

Well, olwi, I first posted the start-stop-start-stop flow "technique" only 12 hours ago, and it won't work that fast. My first day of using it, I wasn't sure of anything either. Second day, maybe just a bit better. But about the third or fourth day, I experienced a noticeable improvement in my ability to shut of the stream, so I knew it was working. And after about 2-3 weeks it was a really big improvement, and it kept getting better. So, those muscles were getting stronger. I hope it will work for you.

Harley, no, my surgery wasn't robotic. Laparoscopic surgery was just getting started when I had my prostatectomy (2004), which was by an experienced surgeon with an ordinary manual procedure.

By the way, a guy in my town started a post-prostatectomy support group, where we'd meet and have lunch etc. and kick things around. Every idea from exercises to wearing black pants (which is another good idea). I still run into guys from that group. If you start one, introduce them to this forum.

@Jack2004

Thanks for the response. I sit down while voiding - you are standing. I will try that. It's just that standing creates such a mess of splattering and dribbles. I can't afford the toilet paper I'd be going through, but I guess it's definitely worth a try.

However, what works for some of us, doesn't for others. But you, I and others have not found the Kegels to work, so I think I need to try anything that works. This leakage is driving me insane. I just can't handle this overwhelming my whole day, which is in the house, consisting of sitting on an extra padded office chair by the computer, or laying down on the couch.

I am assuming you wear diapers. I use Pampers (the best, especially with the more durable waist band - but they are still made cheap, as it doesn't take much for the ends of attachment of the cotton to tear open. I also wear them BACKWARDS, finding the padding not high enough on the front side. I've tried two different sizes, and the smaller size is definitely better, but still requires putting on backwards.

@JimBo

You are one of the lucky ones that you never had to get up at night. It is such a drag to have to get up every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, pee, and bend over, bend sideways, keeping paper towel or toilet paper to catch more dribbling, even having to dribble into the sink.

It's disgusting, but that's the only way to handle this.

I'm trying Jack2004's starting and stopping, though I hardly have enough urine that comes out when I feel the need to void, as most of it has already leaked into the paper towels / Medline stick-on pads stuck onto the Pampers. What a life!

Owli, I can’t think of why the start-stop thing wouldn’t work as well sitting down as standing up. I sure hope it works for you; it sounds like you’re having a really rough time. We didn’t all have the same operative procedures, and we don’t all respond the same way either, but try to stick with it for a good while, huh? If you can feel those muscles trying to work at all, it stands to reason that the more you work them, the stronger they’ll get —- over time, of course. I kept working them for months and they kept improving.

And, no, I don’t wear diapers or pads or anything at all now —- just thin boxer shorts. I don’t think I wore pads after my second year post op, about 14 years ago now.

Right after the catheter came out, I had a lot of trouble, too. I wore the male pad at first, but after a while I needed only a much smaller pad, but there weren’t any for men —- just size huge. So I ended up spending an hour in that mystery aisle in the supermarket where there are a hundred and eleventy-seven different pads for women. I eventually found one women’s pad that was squarish, and it worked well for me for months til I didn’t need it at all any more.

Don’t give up, buddy, it just takes perseverance and time. And time will happen all by itself, so you might as well persevere during it, right?