Advice on Tena

Archives1

Staff member
does anyone have information or experience with Tena products? Which would work or be best for heavy overnight protection?

Thanks all

I think their best products are their tape diapers. I like the ones with the Velcro tapes. The pull ups are less than spectacular generally. Why do you ask about tena specifically?

Thanks. Was just curious. I am typically a Betterdry user and wondered if Tena or others for that matter compared

I’ve found that the Tena unisex pull up far better than the men’s pull up for daytime. But far less than tape on diapers... their tape on briefs I use for work especially in the summer but never at night as I’m a heavy wetter so only plastic briefs and plastic pants overnight for me... it differs for everyone though

@chaps54 I have not had any experience with Tena tape on briefs only with their pull-ons. In a word I wasn't too impressed. I had gotten a sample of the men's pull-on and :| meh! The thing that put me off were the huge vertical stripes. Although their brochure said they do that to more resemble regular men's underwear I rather disagree. To me they really call attention to what they are and not all that discreet, to boot! Besides I wasn't too impressed with the absorbency. Seems to me they sort of clumped down below. But other guys may really love them, not me, however!
If the tape on briefs have Velcro, as @Benfrank said, that may be worth a try. Although I haven't had experience with Velcro tape in a brief, I would probably be inclined to try that, should I ever need a brief type garment.

I get tena slip maxi provided from our NHS which I am thankful for however they are cloth backed and sag a lot after wetting. I tend to buy betterdry as they are far superior and hold a lot more and are far better for extended wear or nighttime. The best nappies I have found are the forsite am/pm, they again are far better than any tens slip and I am able to wear with complete peace of mind day or night.

I have to agree with the Foresite AM/PM vote of confidence... by far the best night diaper I’ve used yet

@benfrank
No not British, I believe they are a Canadian brand. They can be fairly hard to get in the uk but when they are available I teand to stock up on them. Definitely the best I have used. Tena just don’t offer much absorbency in comparison.

I use Tena products, they're the main brand over here in the UK. I was using the 'Premium Fit' underwear (ie pull ups) and actually was pretty impressed but found the lack of any real protection for bowel issues made me feel less secure when my IBS issues became more frequent. Plus, changing with pull ups when using public toilets is more awkward. I pretty much exclusively use the Tena the 'slips' now.

I've found the 'slips' (i.e. taped nappies/diapers) the best but would advise going straight to the maximum 'ultima' absorbency as I've found anything less isn't all that absorbent, especially the 'plus' ones which are pretty useless. I've had the cloth backed 'ultima' ones leak on me after a big urinary accident but haven't had any issues with the plastic backed ones. So yeah, I've been impressed with them especially as even the 'ultima' ones are very discreet, especially the plastic backed ones. The cloth backed ones are great for overflow issues though as the tapes are refastenable but for urge issues I'd definitely go for the plastic ones. I tend to use the cloth ones if I'm just dealing with my usual overflow issues and unlikely to have a big accident (i.e. the urge isn't an issue as I'm near toilets) but when out and about favour the plastic, so I'd recommend those for overnight issues.

@Sci_Fi_Fan I agree that any absorbance below maxi is not really for full voids. I tend to use the cloth backed maxi as I get too hot in the plastic ones.

From what I've been reading here it seems like the Tena brand that is sold in the U.K. may be different than what's here in the States. I think the names of each product sold in the U.K. may be different and therein lies the confusion for me. But one thing does seem, clear here, the Tena with the plastic backing is much more secure and safe than the ones with the cloth backing. Always a good thing to keep in mind!:)

I’ve used Tena diapers before, given to me at a hospital and also as a sample from a medical supply company. I don’t know what type they were, though they were white with two thin stripes at the waistband, and they were pull-ups. They were the worst product I’ve ever worn. Baggy, saggy fit regardless of fit, horrible at absorbency, ridiculously high waistband. That’s a hospital for ya! - providing a cheap, ineffective product. I was there on emergency and didn’t have my own supplies with me at the time I was admitted. Fortunately my mom brought me own supplies later.

I have a question: are Depends nighttime max diapers considered plastic-backed or cloth-backed.

There's 3 types of Tena available split up into different ranges such as maxi and super and extra plus.
There's Tena active fit which is plastic backed.
Tena cloth backed.
Tena original which is a version of the old Tena which was originally plastic backed. Before they changed to cloth backed version.

Apparently reps from tena went to a few suppliers and discovered that the cloth backed version wasn't selling as well as the plastic backed version.

So depending on the country and availability you can get the 3 versions.

I’ve used the Tena Flex with Velcro when it’s over 100 degrees, muggy and I have a short errand to run or something similar. The absorption seems to be OK, they happen to fit me well and are cloth backed which for me is a bonus in this summer heat. The problem for me is due to the cloth backing there’s little odor control. Once again they serve a purpose! I recently started using the better dry in place of the Northshore Supreme. Although the fit very well, and seem to absorb quite a bit they seem to be thinner than the samples I received a few months back. I’d take Better Dry over the Tena any day, but as I said the Tenas do fill a small niesche in the overall battle!

Hi @snow
Tena has two sites. One for overseas and one for the U.S.
the U.S. site is Tena.us.com. Europe site is Tena.co.uk
I believe that the plastic versions recently mentioned are available only overseas. I received a couple as a sample and they worked great. slim, absorbent, comfortable and none of that noise you sometimes get with plastic backed diapers.

You question regarding depends overnight. They have a male and female pull-up that states overnight protection and they are cloth backed. They have a plastic backed tab Version as well. Called Protection with tabs. They are very slim and can be concealed very easily, even under slacks. You can also put a regular pair of underwear over them for added security and comfort