Advice on Tena

@Nocturiaat55

I had seen the Depends Overnights for men online but not in stores. Do you have any experience (or anyone reading) with them. I use the depends RealFit for when I am not sleeping at home and so far they work for me. most of the time I wake dry but the times that I have wetted they worked keeping my shorts and the bed dry. Just curious of the Depends Overnights are any better or offer more comfort or protection that the RealFits do.

JT.

I’ve only tried the real fit and the ones with the tabs. Never tried the overnight versions. We don’t go out much and I’m currently working from home so only need light protection for inside. When I go out I feel a little better if I’m wearing a bit more protection. For now at least....

Hi @Jaytee, I didn't know depend had an overnight version for men. I know they have Nigh Defense for women. Is the overnight for men something new? I do get emails from Depend but lately I open it up and nothing happens. But with this old computer, that's not surprising!:(

@Nocturiaat55 Thanks for explaining plastic-backed vs. cloth-backed to me :)

@Jaytee I see the women's Depends max overnight pull-ups in most grocery/big-box stores. That’s what I wear. I think they work pretty well for me, in part because I wake so often to pee (every 5-60 minutes) that they don’t get much chance to get too wet. I have certainly filled them too full many times, and woken up to a soggy, wet bed. But most of the time, they’re good for me. I like the price and I like that I can get them in most stores. But I am soon going to try some tab diapers and when I do, I’ll create a topic to share my results :)

How embarrassing. I just realized that Depend is singular. I always thought it was plural, Depends. I think it sounds better with an “s,” but I was raised in Utard where it’s a common practice to add an “s” to just about anything. I try to avoid sounding like a Utard, but I guess I did it with Depend!

@Nocturiaat55 I didn't know there was a Realfit style with tabs. That would be good for people with day issues. Easier to change if wet out in public. A pull-up style wold be a little harder to change.

@billliveshere I've only seen them online so far. Here is a link to them Depend Mens Night Defense Next time I need to get some protection I might check them out.

@snow Good to know they work for you. Hopefully. the mens product works just as well.

LOL I think I say Depends with an S often too.

I use tena slip Ultima active fit here in the UK they are fantastic hold loads. But I now get free nappies off the NHS molicare maxi Plastic backed

I decided to try the ID Expert nappies as a cheaper alternative overnight (luckily my bedwetting issues haven't yet returned despite my increased issues so it's more about just containing the dribbling after each toilet visit during the night) and what an awful decision. Insanely thin, awkward fit and the tapes are useless. Tena still definitely appear to be the best product in the UK at that price point. I am surprised at how little some taped nappy-style products hold as I've used pull ups and guards which were more absorbent than the 'plus' Tena slips and these ID products. I mean, if your leakage issues were that minor, I doubt you'd go for the most embarrassing type of product!

Sci_Fi_Fan said:
I decided to try the ID Expert nappies as a cheaper alternative overnight (luckily my bedwetting issues haven't yet returned despite my increased issues so it's more about just containing the dribbling after each toilet visit during the night) and what an awful decision. Insanely thin, awkward fit and the tapes are useless. Tena still definitely appear to be the best product in the UK at that price point. I am surprised at how little some taped nappy-style products hold as I've used pull ups and guards which were more absorbent than the 'plus' Tena slips and these ID products. I mean, if your leakage issues were that minor, I doubt you'd go for the most embarrassing type of product!

Another similar tape on nappy which hold up good for heavy wettings is the drylife slip a bit expensive compared to Tena.

And like Tena the ID brand of nappies come in cloth backed and cloth backed depending on where you buy them.

Plastic backed versions of nappies always hold up well compared to cloth backed I find.

@Dino Yeah, it's a trade off between the plastic and cloth for me. I prefer the security of the plastic ones but they're unbearable in the heat and the tapes aren't really that refastenable (I find using nappy pins like are used on washable ones help with that though). Whenever I've had leaking issues, it's always been with cloth products though and find they don't contain odour so effectively. However, the tapes on the cloth-backed Tena are superb. I wish that mainstream brands would adopt the tape systems of the Rearz or Tykables products (it would also mean I could stop buying embarrassing designs!) as I find that plastic products with resealable tapes are by far the best.

@Sci_Fi_Fan

A hybrid thing you could try is large shaped pads worn inside a pull up.

And your normal underwear or net pants over it.

The net pants you can reuse and the pull up depending on if it's wet you can reuse as well and change the large shaped pad.

Incontinence shop UK and incontinence choice have a good range of them pads.

@Dino Cheers! I think I've pretty much nailed protection now. I use the cloth Tena with plastic pants when at work and the plastic backed ones at home. If I'm out and about I use the Rearz Elite ones which are really high capacity or the Tena Ultima slips with a DryNite as a booster.

chaps54 said:
does anyone have information or experience with Tena products? Which would work or be best for heavy overnight protection?

Thanks all

Their men's pullups are pretty good for moderate incontinence. I wear them around the house when I know I'm within 5 seconds of the bathroom. I wouldn't trust any of their products to an uncontrolled flood though at work or in public...for that it's premium plastic diapers only.

@MikeJames I agree completely.

Since using protection it's been a big surprise just how low (relatively speaking) the capacity on most adult nappies is. I use the maximum absorbency Tena products (Ultima) and they'll just about do me a working day before the wetness indicator goes off but won't handle big urge accidents and especially nothing extra as it were other than my expected day to day leakage. I've basically just swallowed my pride and got the highest capacity plastic backed products with resealable tapes I can find (Tykables and Rearz rather embarrassingly!) for when accidents are likely on top of my expected leakage.

I can only conclude that the reason the mainstream brands aren't hugely absorbent is because of the need for discretion, which I get but equally leaks are hardly discreet and with the right clothing choices I've found that even the really high capacity ones can be discreet.