AdVance Urinary Bladder initial success

Archives1

Staff member
Had the male urinary bladder sling surgery 1 week ago after 16 months in pullups and bard clamp combined with pads following radical prosectomy. So here’s my report…I did my keigels / pelvic exercises/ walking pretty regularly following RP but never advanced to the point where I was comfortable without at bare minimum at least s heavy pullup around the house. Always wore clamp with pullup and heavy pad when out and about ( and always had extras on me) so I didn’t ever experience a through the clothes episode. At the end of the day, depending on level of activity, I usually went through 1 pad but rarely leaked past that into the pullup just as a point of reference. I’m 65 5’9” and 195 lbs. It’s only been a week but after removing the catheter following day 1, the effect was immediate and complete to this point. No leakage. A lot of bruising on the scrotum and undercarriage, minimal pain for a few days, and am now in the no lifting over 10 lbs and no squatting for the next 5 weeks. Even with hard sneezes or coughing there is no leakage to this point. Had sling surgery in Denver at TUCC and the whole point of this post is to highly recommend the procedure. Also to express how thankful I am to be so fortunate and to thank all the posters who helped me through the rough patches to this point.
I did consider AUS surgery but in the end opted for the sling due to the longevity of the device vs AUS, the lack of needing to manipulate/ activate any internal device, and the knowledge that if it didn’t work I could always go back and get AUS. Also, FYI: it appears medicare A + B pays 80% and my supplemental plan G covers the other 20%. Hopefully that pans out. Hope this post is able to help out someone as so many posts on this site helped me remain positive and make a choice that so far is working.

this post is very helpful. while its only been 7 months since rp and just a month since 35 radiation treatments, I'm still leaking about an ounce a day and thats too much. waiting a few more months to get dry, and if not,will go the sling route. even if i have to pay out of pocket. I want to feel comfortable traveling again. thank you.

This is very interesting to me, over a year out from surgery but still leaking - one to two pads during day, a pull up overnight, though leaking at night has improved. I do all of the pelvic floor exercises, have improved some, but not where I want to be. I see my urologist in December and plan to discuss sling. Your positive result is great to hear. Thanks for sharing.