Adapting Baby Pull Up Diapers to Adult Pull Up Diapers

Archives1

Staff member
Why can't adult diapers be adapted from baby diapers like Pamper Cruisers 360 Fit or Pampers Easy Ups? Seems like it would be doable to make those type into adult brands and sizes.

Probably 3 things.
1 cost. Adult supplies are bought by institutions and insurance. The manufacturers have to please them as much as the wearer. Baby supplies are at the whim of parents who will easily spend more if they are told its good for the kid.
2 patents. Im sure png and Unilever patent all that stuff so adult companies cant just use or copy it.

3 outside of kimberly clark no big brands at least in the us are in the adult diaper business because of reason 1.

I think the OP was talking about making adult products designed in construction not print and design, there are plenty of colorful diapers made for the AB/DL community. It is in part due to the AB/DL community that modern incontinence products are as absorbent as they currently are plus its kind of nice having something less clinical than some "medical grade" products

I think what we all need to do is express our concerns more to the companies that make our products to beef up there construction. Is there such thing as a company hiring people to test there products and give feedback so they can improve the imperfections?

What i don't understand is why the same companies that make baby products don't branch upwards into youth, and adult products. It would increase their revenue, and make consumers who need them happy due to better products.

Its margins. Most adult diapers are bought by very price sensitive individuals, nursing home managers, hospitals etc. a few cents per unit is a big deal to them. Also medicaid and insurance like cheap generics.

Baby stuff is bought at retail level by parents who obviously care way more about their kid than a supply manager at a nursing home cares about the individual residents so tge parents will gladly spend more.

How many of us out here would buy pampers, luvs, or Huggies if they were to manufacturer adult products? I would be interested and willing. I grew up wearing pampers until I outgrew them. I would definitely buy pampers again if they came out with adult products. With there technology with making baby diapers has evolved in time. As the years roll by, I think somewhere in the future they will evolve and make adult products.

JWT said:
How many of us out here would buy pampers, luvs, or Huggies if they were to manufacturer adult products? I would be interested and willing. I grew up wearing pampers until I outgrew them. I would definitely buy pampers again if they came out with adult products. With there technology with making baby diapers has evolved in time. As the years roll by, I think somewhere in the future they will evolve and make adult products.

There is also the issue of changing demographics. The steady decline in birth rate and size of families combined with a steady growth in number and proportion of older folk will mean that year on year demand for baby products will steadily shrink while the size of the adult market will only grow.
At some point manufacturers of baby products will need to extend their range to include adult products to catch the only segment of the market that is expanding.
That said, I don't know that scaling up a baby product design would necessarily make for a good adult product. Baby powder is great for babies - not so much for adults. Same with baby creams. I don't see why products would be any different. Babies shape, urine volume and their mobility are all very different to an adult after all.

JWT said:

I guess on my end, I don't personally want to be associated with anything related to babies, especially when it comes to my incontinence. I would prefer to stick with the adult brands like Tena, Always Discreet, Poise, etc, because the product isn't marketed towards children.

I just feel it gives people the wrong idea at the same time, a good example is sometimes my pullups are visible at work when I bend over, do I want anyone thinking its a fetish thing? Absolutely Not!

Well said @koigal. A lot of the shame and stigma that comes with being an adult who can't control their toileting is because this is so strongly associated with infancy. Wearing baby-brand diapers would only re-enforce this negative association.

I see two divergent thoughts crossing here. I agree with the two posts above that we dont want just larger baby products, but there are materials and such that dont maje it into adult products that could be useful, like better breathable stretch/elastic like material for the sides and tape areas where theres less/no padding. Anything to keep the diaper in place and let thd skin breath would be great. Bonus points for less thickness odor and noise.

I believe Adam from NorthShore has commented on this. Patents are really stopping a lot of the innovation. I recall correctly, one of the more recent features to make the jump to adult diapers is the elastic waist band. It would be nice if the major players would license or otherwise open up the porfolios. I'm not sure I'd wear a Huggies adult diaper, but there may be something that they do well that could be adapted for adults.

Y'all have to remember that the company heads would most likely market any adult products they made under a different name. Look at goodnites and underjams. Goodnites are made by Kimberly Clark/huggies. Underjams/ninjamas is made by pampers. They don't use the same brand names they used for the baby diapers. They know the stigma around bedwetting. They also made the prints more mature as the sizes get bigger to resemble regular underwear. They would do the same with adult products if/when they ever decide to move into the market.

Hi @Koigal and @Phil6003, and others! I fully agree with both of you. You make wonderful points about adults not wanting to be associated with babies, but there is one thing I didn't notice in this thread. Adult bodies are shaped differently from those of babies. And in making diapers for adults, just up-sizing them from the baby version would most likely result in a fit that most of us would not like at all!!!
Adult waists and bottoms are proportionately different from those of babies and toddlers.
If an adult diaper were upsized directly from a baby diaper most likely proportionately more absorbent material would be needed and that would likely nullify any notions of discreetness. After all our bladders are bigger than a baby's and our output is markedly different.
After all an adult is not just a full-sized kid or merely a grown-up baby, at least not in the physical sense!!!

That's true, but you would think they could adapt them somehow. Also, there are ABDL brief diapers out there that are made to look like baby diapers so why can't there be pull ups that mimic baby pull up diapers.

mhart82 said:
That's true, but you would think they could adapt them somehow. Also, there are ABDL brief diapers out there that are made to look like baby diapers so why can't there be pull ups that mimic baby pull up diapers.

If that is really what you want, why don't you reach out to the companies that make those types and ask if they'd consider doing it? Plant the idea in their heads, maybe they will listen.