Abx and oab

Archives1

Staff member
I'm on day 10 (the final day)of a course of abx for something else- a bad infection after a bit of surgery. It has been effective at clearing up the problem, but also, my bladder control is showing some amount of improvement in the past 24 hours. I do normally have a good day or two every few weeks, so this is probably unrelated to the abx, but if this improvement lasts, would that not suggest that my oab is actually an infection? Or does oab respond to antibiotics under regular circumstances? Is it possible that I have had an infection for the past two and a half years without knowing it? If that's the case, is it a stretch to wonder what other damage has been done in my urinary tract- or wherever?

Have you had your urine cultured for an infection any time within the past two years?

I know from personal experience that a UTI is very uncomfortable but in a different way than OAB.

BTW, what is abx - antibiotics?

It is possible the type of antibiotic caused the improvement. I once had a breathing problem for over 2 years and then got food poisoning and received CIPRO and got rid of my breathing problem cured in 10 days after being treated for 3 hospitals.

I felt like I had a UTI recently and was prescribed antibiotics. I felt so much better and thought the antibiotics were working. When the urine was cultured, I was told the antibiotic would not be effective at killing the infection and got another antibiotic. So you always need to get a culture.