Hydrodistention for OAB?

👍👍👍👍👍👍 yeah that’s the truth.
If anyone wants to vent I’m always happy to listen. Do it through PM though. This is a nice place for everyone and yes there are tougher folks here too so we have to keep the regular board rated G for all audiences.
I woke up this morning and it’s so beautiful outside. So happy about that. Hope everyone has a nice day today and gets to enjoy the sunshine if you are getting it in your area today.
Just watered the plants and opened all the windows to let some fresh POLLEN in...lol.
I should wash the car ever surface is yellow and it’s supposed to be a dark grey. Oh well maybe it will blow off when I go to the store later.

I’m sorry, jrpoorman, that really sucks about the freezing of your account. I haven’t yet encountered that, though I’m sure I will one day.

It was a gorgeous morning here, too, before we hit a record breaking high of 98’F! I went for a nice walk and coffee very early in the morning.

Snow, yes they put me under when they do the Botox, bladder distention, and bladder instillation. I have IC and OAB and could never stand the pain from the procedures if I was awake. They are now scheduling my procedures every 3-4 months, hopefully, before my pain returns.

I wonder who in the world would think that using Botox for an invasive bladder procedure would be cosmetic???? That doesn't make any sense to me! It's not like you're filling in wrinkles on your forehead. Now that's cosmetic! I think any one with any kind of sense can see that! But then again insurance companies aren't known for their, well, sense of having any sense!!!I guess getting something in writing from the doctor that declares it was not a cosmetic procedure may help.

Yes I agree 100% and argued in detail with the Bank of America reps that handle the Flexible Spending Accounts and Health savings accounts. I think since they have the responsibility to take care of the money that I (not my employer) put in the account, they should get a clue about certain procedures and not make someone fight for 4 months now just to get their account taken care of for a legitimate claim. I could have reordered my insulin a few times with my FSA account and just paid out of pocket for the Botox injections if I knew it was going to be this much of a hassle. And the kicker is I had my urologist write a letter on their Urology Practice stationary and the DB’s wouldn’t accept it during the Covid-19 lockdown. I have a stack of prescription receipts on my dresser that will use up the remainder of what’s in my account that I had to pay out of pocket but since they have the account locked I can’t even submit them. 😞
Stupid. Heaven forbid you pay into something and not have some BS to deal with to use your own money.

I get hydrodistension every few months, and I'm always out. My understanding is that they hang a bag of water some distance above the bladder (70cm comes to mind) and keep it distended for ten minutes, which should be too painful to consider without anesthesia. It's way more involved than a cystoscopy, which involves pushing some water in and closing the valve. With hydro, the valve stays open. They'll get 1100 ml in my bladder, which I could never achieve on my own.

I get Botox every four months or so. I've never had an issue with my HSA. I bet some non-medical person saw Botox and didn't realize that it has many uses besides wrinkles!

When I get Botox, it's ten shots of 1 ml each. I can't imagine 40+!

Regarding urodynamics tests (I have had two), other than sitting when the catheter was inserted, the rest of the test was done while I was standing. My cystoscope was done while ina reclined position.

Itapilot, has your capacity increased after hydrodistention?

It can help settle my interstitial cystitis down, which helps with my bladder capacity. I have symptoms of both IC and OAB (pain, urgency, and urge incontinence being the main ones), and usually hydrodistension gives my some relief from all of those.

It can take some time to work. I had it a week and a half ago, and my bladder still feels bruised and sore, and I'm having more accidents than usual. The last hydro, though, I hardly felt afterwards. I don't know what causes the varying responses, but when it keeps hurting for a long time it's pretty annoying.

Maybe your doctor was tired this most recent time. Sorry for the continuing pain.

Botox in the forehead, neck, and trapezius muscles halts migraines remarkably well, better than any other migraine treatment I’ve had. And those don’t hurt, unlike excruciating bladder Botox.

Botox is used for sooooooo many medical purposes. It was initially developed/refined to freeze that eye condition where one eye is always bouncing back and forth from left to right. Anyone who works with medical claims should be well-versed with Botox as non-cosmetic!!!!! It’s been in use for decades!

I swear I am learning more and more reasons to apreciate 1) lack of enough insurance to make me a visble candidate for medicals to intrude on my body 2) that i would rather diaper than submit to these procedures 3) thank you for what you have learned

Well MayMay941 I hear you! I, too, would much rather do diapers than to have some of those medical procedures.

In my case, diapers take care of the leakage, but not the pain. To be honest, I care less about the incontinence than the pain, which is why I go through these procedures.

Itapilot, to rid myself of the pain is why I go through the Botox Procedures also. My life is so much better when it’s pain free. To me, it’s so much better than being on addicting pain drugs, which I no longer need.