Words to live by.

Archives1

Staff member
I am a big book reader. Throughout my time as a college student, I have accumulated several hundred books, both digital and physical.

One of the books that have been instrumental to me in this time is Lessons from a hospital bed by Pastor John Piper (Book linked below, It is free to download for E-Book readers.)

One of the lessons in the book is "Don't murmur about delays and inefficiencies in the hospital when you are getting medical care that surpassed by a hundredfold what is available in 90 percent of the world.
---John Piper, Lessons from a Hospital bed, Desiring God Foundation, Crossway, Wheaton, Page 44

Our daughter went to John Piper’s church while attending university of Minnesota. She thought he was an awesome preacher! Thanks for the link.

An excellent point by John Piper about not murmuring "about the delays and inefficiencies in the hospital system" when your medical care is easily way ahead of that in 90 percent of the world.
That's very true and we all need to remember that when we have our encounters with our doctors, clinics and hospitals!!!!

billliveshere said:
An excellent point by John Piper about not murmuring "about the delays and inefficiencies in the hospital system" when your medical care is easily way ahead of that in 90 percent of the world.
That's very true and we all need to remember that when we have our encounters with our doctors, clinics and hospitals!!!!

Another one that sticks out from this book a lot right now is

"Realize that physical pain makes focusing on God's promises more difficult and demands greater concentrating effort.

As much as I find my health issues bring me down, it is during that time I always turn to my Lord to get me through. One positive thing

I certainly believe that pain makes focusing on God's promises more difficult and does take a greater effort to concentrate on it!!! That's a property of physical pain in anything when you are trying to concentrate on something.

I will say this....God is merciful when one loses sight, one gains hearing. Be open to the gift that you do not perceive. Take the incontinence as a way to celebrate your body releasing. For short stabbing pain or pain that overwhelms the senses, well, I got nothing.
But sometimes it has humbled me to respect the kindness of others who open a door in their heart with gladness to give some small courtesy or perform a medical act that is the gift of human intelligence.
I really dont know. But I listen.