wondering about urinary incontinence and bed wetting.

Archives1

Staff member
for me, i often have the feeling of needing to pee. if i don’t go to the toilet at those times, eventually - a few minutes to a half hour or so, i will start peeing wherever i am. possibly a bit longer, but like ive posted before if i wash the dishes or even do something else engaging, i will often need to go immediately even if i had no urge or feeling to do so. but what is a bit confusing is that when i sleep it could be an hour or up to 3 and then i wake needing to go. and at those times i have a strong feeling of having to go. i can still hold it in somewhat. the feeling i have at these times is similar to when i was young and had been holding it in for several hours. then it also seemed like i easily had a gallon inside but now just a cup. this to me is weakened muscles that just can’t do the job any more. the muscles can’t hold in much and when it reaches its max, i have to go.

but i wonder what kind of hold my subconscious or whatever has that keeps my mind fighting to hold it in while i sleep. i am just remarking at this unknown strength while i’m asleep. yet so many here are the opposite. its not saying i am especially strong but i think some how it is practically an unnatural desperation - knowing that desperation is all i have as strength. does this resonate with anyone?

I don't know why, but I also go much more often during the day than at night. Urologist (at least mine) don't seem to have an answer as to why. It is almost like they are saying: 'Shit Happens' except it should be 'Pee Happens'

When we’re horizontal, and/or in deep wave sleep, our brain shuts off our kidneys and bladder... except for those of us with neurogenic bladder - spine damage so severe that the bladder and brain no longer communicate. I have to pee every 5-20 minutes regardless of day or night. I hate the night part.

Etaamilbus, Your daytime symptoms are very similar to mine; and the diagnosis that I’ve received from several urologists is urge incontinence. I also get the same kind of nighttime urges you describe, but I am unable to make it to the bathroom without leaking involuntarily. To manage my problem, I wear a diaper 24/7/365. Diapers enable me to do whatever I want and live what is essentially a normal life.

@Inconinmiss I wear and manage. I don't wear and sometimes suffer the consequences. I have to satisfy a need to be safe and as much a need to not be bundled up in those things. As for type of urinary incontinence, meds for urge have been completely ineffective so I doubt I have urge and one med even made it worse and one caused pain all over my body. I'm certain that for both my incontinences it is due to deteriorated muscles that cannot hold anymore.

I do leak on my way to the bathroom at night. I try to have the pullups on when I go to bed but other times I just don't want them on. With my issues I really do need to do the 24/7 thing though. Fortunately I've avoided disasters.

Etamibus, The term “urge incontinence” is just a categorization of symptoms that can have a variety of different causes in different people. Mine is apparently the result of nerve damage caused by a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old. Over the years, urologists have tried me on several different meds that help some people with urge incontinence, but none of them worked for me. Every urologist that I’ve ever consulted Has recommended that I wear an external catheter with a leg bag to collect urine instead of wearing diapers. Like a good boy, I’ve tried external catheters several times. I wonder if you’ve tried that approach to managing your incontinence. If you haven’t, it’s probably worth a try. But I very much prefer diapers.