Why Do You Need a Mattress Protector?

Archives1

Staff member
What can do to keep the nasties living in your mattress away from you and your family?

Wondering why a mattress protector is necessary? Surely a sheet is sufficient? Nope.

The mattress on your bed is covered with tiny things you can’t see, including dust mites, and many other nasties which can make you or your family unwell. It’s one of the reasons why your mattress grows heavier each year and certainly why you should be using a mattress protector.

Top Reasons Why You Need a Mattress Protector
Are you ready for it? Here are three things which are most probably growing in and on your mattress:

Dust Mites – it turns out that the average mattress contains 10 million dust mites! Each of these dust mites are feeding off your dead skin cells. They love dark, warm and damp places, causing horrible allergies for both adults and kids alike.
Bacteria – it’s home to bad bacteria; from the stomach bug E.coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Campylobacter (which causes more stomach problems) and the Norovirus which is like severe food poisoning. It’s scary to think your mattress has the potential to make you sick.
Fungi & Mold – these nasties Geotrichum, Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Rhizopus and Alternaria may also be found on a mattress.
Keep reading though, because there are four more reasons to use a Brolly Sheet mattress protector:

Food – spilt food provides a breeding ground for bacteria to grow on and in your mattress.

Sweat & Body Fluids –each night as we sweat, it moves into our sheets, blankets, pillows and mattresses. But don’t forget other body fluids like saliva and blood like joining in the fun too.

Skin Cells – with around 500 million skin cells shed every day by just one person, skin cells quickly build up in our mattresses, creating food for dust mites.

Chemicals – chemicals such as flame retardants, plasticizers and isocyanates are often used to make mattresses, so you can expect to have a few of them in yours.

Cosmetics - failing to remove makeup, body lotion, and other cosmetics will see them ending up on your mattress.

Urine & Feces – it’s not just urine and Feces from children and adults we’re talking here. Bugs leave their Feces behind on your mattress too.

The use of mattress protectors and the regular cleaning of your mattress and bedding is essential to keep you and your family well.

Get one that is waterproof and will fit your mattress size. Expect to pay around 50.00 for a good king size one. Kohl's, walmart, big lots, target have them. Waterproof is a must for me in case my diapers leak. Usually not a problem, but it happens.

DPCARE: thanks. It never occured to me to think about it. We have a "mattress cover" - and it is just part of the problem, I guess. It's "cloth and padding".

I use a vinyl what they call envelope whereby I put the whole mattress in the "envelope". I've left my night bag open a few times by mistake flooding my bedroom carpet, but thankfully have not yet had an accident whereby the external catheter has come off me during the night and I flood the mattress. I'm happy just knowing if I do, it won't spoil the mattress and can be easily cleaned up quickly if I ever do.

Kind of a silly question, in my opinion. Yes a mattress protector is essential for bedwetting, at least for me as I wet multiple times a night and a couple of nights a week I will leak some onto my sheets.