What to wear to first visit post RALP

Archives1

Staff member
I go back tomorrow for my first office visit since my Robotic Prostatectomy four months ago. I still have stress incontinence, though I am able to hold it in better than a few weeks ago. Should I show up in a Depends, with some leakage for sure (the office is an hour's drive from my house) or do I put a big pad in my underwear for the drive in and throw it away before I check in if it's soaked? I could put a clamp on when I arrive at the office but if I have to remove it for the check-up, I'm sure to splash urine on something. I don't want to reinvent the wheel. If any of you has a foolproof system for being relatively dry when you get a hands-on physical by your surgeon, please let me know please.

I also tried to plan for dry arrival for visits. I think it only masked the severity of my problem. After many visits and scopes I quit trying to cover it up and let my urologist see what I was dealing with every day. Better in the urologist’s office than when out to dinner. It’s a long road coming to terms with what is ahead for you. You will eventually find the right solution that works for you. There is a lot of help here and it is worth reading through all the old posts that apply to you. Good luck and stay hopeful.

DO EVERYTHING YOU DO TO KEEP YOURSELF DRY AND COMFORTABLE. I would put on "dry everything", drain the bladder and apply a clamp. (You are only traveling for an hour.) Take a plastic container with you (aspirin bottle, etc)in your pocket. You may need to wear a jacket with a pocket on each side. In one pocket, put a dry washcloth and insert a clean, dry, washcloth into your container. The other pocket is for stashing the clamp (later).

Upon arriving, go to the restroom, sit down, pull down your pants and undies and push them toward your knees (so they don't get wet), and remove the clamp. Put the plastic container in place...stand up and pee into the container. EMPTY THE CONTAINER.

Pull up whatever you are wearing to keep you dry. Wipe the inside of the container with toilet paper or with your clean washcloth. Put the container back into your pocket. An alternative would be to put your accessories in a plastic Walmart bag and carry it with you...everywhere 'till you get back to your car.

(The clamp and the plastic container are your best buddies.) I would do this to serve my own interests in keeping dry and being comfortable...nothing to do with the doctor. Go over this list and see yourself doing each thing. See if it all clicks in your mind. I did that as I wrote this and I think it puts everything in place at the right time.

I have not mentioned what to do with the bag while you are working out of it. Is the floor clean? May need another bag to put everything in. Or maybe a jacket with pockets would be better? This plan would give you dry pads to leak into after you process in the restroom.

After visiting the doctor, return to the restroom and put the clamp back on. You should have enough pad capacity to make it back home. The restored clamp will help you return home, mostly dry.

I wore a depends and a pad. The doctor already expects this. No shame in doing so. Best not to leak all over yourself or the exam room. Mine had pads available in their bathroom.

I remember going to my first doctor visit I was very nervous about it being in a diaper. One thing I noticed the staff and doctor very supportive and aware of it. Also when at pt the tech that helps me is careful when moving around the diaper. It makes me feel better knowing that thy try not to make it awkward when I have visits. It was a very long time of me to get used to wearing and being around others

Depends with a pad works for me. Go to bathroom every hour and take a few pads with you along with a spare depends just till you get back in your rhythm. Hopefully you have a bathroom nearby.

I always went in the Depends pull up, catheter out the leg, through the button up part of my Hanes sleep pants and carried the pee bag inside a Wal-Mart bag. That and a loose fitting T-Shirt and slippers. I was comfortable and the place you are going EVERYONE understands. If they are looking at you funny, they are probably just thinking to themselves, "Why didn't I think of that?"|

I always arrive a few minutes early and change right before my scheduled appointment. I wouldn't overthink it, the doctors have seen it many times before.