What changed in the medical field?

Archives1

Staff member
So today I had an appointment with my Primary Care Physician (PCP). I told her about the fact that sometimes I need to use my pull-up in case I’m in a meeting and it takes a long time to use the bathroom. Although I am happy that she prescribed to my insurance company a pack of briefs, I was still shocked. Growing up, I was told by doctors/physical therapists that the best way to improve quality of life is to become more independent.

Has anyone else experienced this evolution in thinking? If so, were you surprised?

When I visited my urologist they always throw meds at the problem first. I think with a PCP they aren't qualified to try to really help with that honestly, so throwing diapers on was probably NOT a good idea, however if they don't have a quick solution that is how they do things. I know it took 3 months of pestering the urologist to get pelvic floor therapy, but for me PFT didn't do anything. I think the US has shifted into "fix the problem now" territory, rather than preventative maintenance. My uro did not suggest timed voiding or PFT for a long time. The medical industry has become a numbers game like the BMV, wait in line and they get you out ASAP.

Oh - I don't think this is unique to the US - and to be honest, I was pretty embarrassed when I had to leave the hospital with an incontinence pad back when my problems started. It was even more embarrassing that this stupid thing started leaking right on the way home.

I also had the experience of doctors starting to throw medications right away. Honestly, at that point I would have been happy if that had worked. I don't want to wear incontinence pads or diapers. But unfortunately it didn't work without. I was all the more surprised when I asked doctor for a solution to the leaking incontinence pads. He explained to me, "You are too young for diapers". I fully agreed with him, but when I asked him what I could do about the leaking incontinence pads, he didn't have an answer either....

That was a while ago but I think it says a lot about how you are treated when you have this problem for the first time.

@Rdouga1: I hope that the thing with the insurance works. That was my next bitter experience. The incontinence pads I got from the health insurance didn't work and leaked allways - but apparently nobody saw that as a problem. In the end, I actually had to go to court for the first time because of such crap. The insurance company lost of course - they always do. The problem is that the legal system in Germany is different than in the US. For the insurance company it is cheaper to lose a lawsuit than to pay for the care. Many are simply too embarrassed to go to court with something like this, most end up paying themselves and the insurance company is happy.

There are regular protests from the advocacy groups of incontinent people and we have already had two changes in the law in the last 10 years. Unfortunately, the insurers have always come up with new ideas to circumvent this in their favor.