Wetting

Archives1

Staff member
Hello I'm 42 year old man. Back in February I stared having dripping problems. Went to my Dr he did all kinds of test and put me on meds. It did not work dripping went to wetting the bed and little accident why I was awake. He sent me to a urologist and he perform all the test bladder test,scope CT scans blood test, urine test. Nothing has said why this is happening. All he keeps doing is changing my meds.my problem is getting worse I started with disposal underwear and now I'm in adult brif.i don't know what to do I can't keep living like this. My wife has been very supportive but I'm worried on what stress this is causing her.

Hi Marc42,
If you have the option to get a referral to a good
PT or OT who can teach you non pharmacological interventions.
Exercises/bladder irritants that are hidden in foods/beverages
bladder schedule etc.
Let me know if you can't find a therapist,
but you can google pelvic floor exercises.
R

I have been doing exercises my wife is a home health nurse and she works with elderly and handicap patents she been teaching me pelvic exercise.

Awesome! I am a home health OT and I have had great results with those exercises,
but of course every case is individual.:)

This is not advice, just my personal experience. I'm 71 years old but very active and work full time. At my age I am afraid to go to my doctor because of tests throwing up all kinds of problems. Fortunately I am very well but some 30 to 40 years ago I started to dribble and could't wear boxer briefs any more. I read that it is post void dribble.I started to wear up to 3 pairs of briefs before wearing washable incontinence underwear. About six years ago I started wetting at work and my absorbent underwear did not cope so I had to wear plastic backed absorbent underwear. At the same time I had 3 or 4 fecal accidents. I wore underwear with a thick plastic backed absorbent pad back and front. At night I wore a heavier version of the above. The confidence the underwear gave me meant that I stopped wetting apart from the short-lived post void dribble which has never worsened. Gradually the wetting and fecal problems stopped and I went back to wearing light washable incontinence underwear day and night in warmer weather. For long journeys I wear more substantial protection. I have never talked to a doctor about it and never taken medication.

Well I'm done with Drs. All they do is keep changing my meds. My wife has talked me in to see a neurologist so I'm going to see what they say. But all the other Drs have done is run my insurance up with no results. If I have to live the rest of my life like this then I guess that's how it will be.

Marc42, When I was 14 years old (I’m 75 now), I experienced a surgical mishap that significantly damaged my bladder control. I’ve never been reliably dry at night since then, and my experience with daytime incontinence has been somewhat variable. After the surgical problem, I was daytime incontinent and had to wear diapers to high school for the first three years. However, I was a fanatic about doing what nowadays are called Kegel exercises and got to the point where I could generally go without a daytime diaper by my fourth year in high school. Things went along like that throughout university and until I was in my early forties, when I started having daytime leakage problems once again. At that time, I consulted my family doctor, who sent me to a urologist, who sent me to a urologist that specializes in treating incontinence. The second urologist put me through an extensive range of invasive and noninvasive tests but could not determine the cause of my incontinence. He also gave me successive three-months trials on six different drugs, some of which produced unpleasant side effects but none of which had a significant effect on my incontinence. The upshot of all that is that all I can really do about my incontinence is to manage it in a way that enables me to go about my life as normally as possible. Upon the recommendation of the urologist, I tried wearing an external catheter. However, after trying several brands of external catheters, I settled on wearing a diaper. Once I got used to it, diapers have become just the kind of underpants that I need to wear; and I no longer pay much emotional attention to the fact that I’m incontinent.