Use of Botox to stop sphincter & bladder spasms

Archives1

Staff member
I know this may come out sounding a bit backwards, BUT!
After meeting with my new Urologist on Monday, a very bright young guy who seems to be pretty well versed on new & emerging treatments, he left me with some things to think about.
The most glaring was using Botox to essentially nuke my outer urinary sphincter, leaving it wide open. This concept is not completely new to me as at one point it was suggested I undergo a sphincterotomy, permanently cutting the muscles of my outer sphincter. This was suggested due to painful spasms that create very high inner bladder pressure up into my kidneys. This is why I was forced to use a variety of indwelling catheters over the years to avoid kidney damage, yet still needed a pad as the spasms forced urine around the catheter. Literally blew the line off on an airplane once. My version of Neurogenic Bladder is called dysinergia where my bladder wall compresses to empty, but no matter what I do I can’t open the sphincter to let urine out. It seems the harder I try the tighter it gets, the exact opposite of trying to hold it. When I do attempt to hold it I get lightning bolts of pain and the sphincter goes wide open? I live in the middle most often, spasm,spasm,spasm-leak.
I know they are using Botox for all kinds of things these days, has anyone else experienced something like this?
On a positive note it would eliminate those complete voids with a full bladder (my number 1 source of leaks), allegedly reduce the pain & stop the spasms. Another positive is it wears off after 6-7 months if I don’t get relief…
In my head it feels like I’m giving in to it, but it’s not like I have control anyhow? Sure would be nice to get rid of the spasms and burning after 20+ years…

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Sprung87 -- My urogynecologist won't give me the INTER STIM unless I try BOTOX injections 1st. Have had Botox in head, neck & shoulders 4 Migraines. So painful that I won't do it again. Don't want BOTOX injections either due to that. But will have to persuade my doctor about this. Not looking 4ward 2 that.

I would recommend it. Effects can last up to a year with some people. Some of what you suffer, I seem to have and Botox really helps with my pain.

Botox helps me a lot with bladder spasms from OAB, but I've not had to have it injected in the sphincter. I know of others that have gotten a lot of relief from having that done, though. It's nice that the botox will wear off in time, in case it doesn't work out for you.

I talked with my Urologist, about my pain issue, (pelvic) urinary retention, isotopic bladder, urinary incontinence. I have read how injections into the outer sphincter ease the pain. As you mentioned above you have DSD, I do not, but now he wants to do a rigid cystoscopy, inject medication to help my pain of IC. then do urethral dilation and hydrodistension. He commented about the sphincter procedure, you will be completely incontinent! I replied, I'm incontinent! I have a excellent PA, she has tried very hard to help me in my journey. So we keep going. Good luck with your procedure. I'm curious how things go afterwards, especially if it helped pain. Boom