Urologists and patient dignity

Archives1

Staff member
I had what was for me a very disturbing experience at my Botox appointment yesterday. The procedure itself was pretty normal, but a comment that the tech who took me to the procedure room made left me thinking that they were feeling a little rushed.

After the procedure, the doctor told me I could get dressed. As he was getting ready to leave the room, the tech came back in and got me some wipes to clean up all the lidocaine and saline that ends up dripping out during the procedure - it's always messy, but easy enough to clean up.

After the doctor left, though, the tech started straightening up the room to get it ready for the next patient, and she commented to me that they were running behind and that I should go ahead and get dressed while she was in there cleaning the room. I wasn't very comfortable with that, even though her back was turned. However, I was pretty sore after the procedure and not really in much of a mood to argue so I cleaned myself up, then got up and started getting my clothes on. As I was fastening my diaper, the tech turned around, walked past me, and left the room. At least she was careful to avoid opening the door wide enough that anyone could have seen in.

Afterwards I wished that I'd insisted on having the room to myself while I cleaned up and got dressed. I don't find it acceptable to expect a patient who's just had a procedure to be expected to be naked in front of the tech. I know that the doctor and nurse who did the procedure just saw me unclothed, but having me exposed to the tech as well was unnecessary, and to be perfectly honest I found it more embarrassing to have her see me in a diaper than to see me naked. Even if it takes an extra five minutes to get the room ready, I feel like it's important for medical providers to respect patient dignity and privacy, and I feel like I was treated without much respect.

How would you have handled this situation?

After a situation like this, go home, try to relax, get things in perspective…. Then- call and ask for the name of the medical director or whoever supervises the techs. Write or call that person, explaining exactly what you experienced. You should at least get an acknowledgment that this wasn’t handled properly.

In principle, you're right, and I've also experienced similar things. At the last video UD they had problems with the network access of the X-ray machine. So two technicians squatted in the control room while I sat there on a pad and the nurse injected me with the contrast agent through the catheter into my bladder... Also not great... However, these situations happen and I was not really embarrassed. Actually I was really glad that they tried to solve the problem during operation instead of sending the people home again.

What would annoy me in your case, however, would be the planning of the clinic. I have also often experienced that I had to wait a very long time because they simply have not managed to keep the clocking they have come up with themselves. This is a bit like assembly line work and someone turns the line faster.

That is already difficult in the factory - but here no cars but people roll over the line... I think the tech is hardly to blame - it is just a small cog in a big money printing machine. And that is the real problem - which unfortunately cannot be solved so easily and is just annoying.

Remember you pay their salary. you are why they have a job. Sometimes they need to he reminded of that. Do what's right for you and they will either get over it or they won't. not your problem.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the techs, nurses, doctors...all get numb to all that. They see it all EVERY day.

Personally, it wouldn't have bothered me, but those things just don't. I know people are different and it obviously bothered you and I am not trying to belittle the point.

I just think next time, you need to have the courage to say something, to insist, as you said...if they then don't honor your wishes, I would be very upset and ask for the manager or doctor or whoever right then...

I doubt the tech's actions were intended to embarrass you - probably just trying to get a job done in a very tough environment and never thought anything about it.

I think you have a very valid point - but I think it is also fair to make the tech aware...

Hope that makes sense & is helpful.

+God+bless+

I quite understand it sounds like the office was very understaffed from your previous post with no end in sight.
However a personal procedure everything becomes a heightened personal experience and you have a right to privacy!

I guess now you have had the experience when you go back do not let it happen again, if your privacy is breached say so. They forget we are PEOPLE not a cow being shunted down the shute to the slaughter pen.

As it's been pointed out they've seen it all (my personal peeve is emergency floors where a thin curtain half closed exposes one to every passing person medical staff or trending relative.) Or being left on a gurney in a hall where curious children once came up and asked me about my condition!!

Once I had a ultrasound at the gynecologist and it was pre Halloween. The nurse asked if I would allow a male student(who looked bored and lazy slouching in the corner) to observe the procedure. I said NO. And told her to TAKE THE STUPID HALLOWEEN HEADBAND WITH BOBBING PUMPKINS OFF HER HEAD! (She did and he slouched out of the room).

I've been in those situations except with a lot more people in the room. As a veteran there's many times I've been seen at the VA by doctors and literally a room full of medical interns. I even did a Q and A at university with interns/residents and was asked every possible question imaginable. CES (cauda equina syndrome) was extremely rare when I was first diagnosed so that's why I had so much attention.
I never really got too bothered because everyone was super professional.

To answer your question, if the tech that was cleaning the room didn't mind then I wouldn't care. If she felt safe enough to be in a closed room with me while I cleaning up and getting dressed then I'd take it as a compliment.

And there in lies the difference CES07!
PROFESSIONALISM and patient dignity!

Thank you for your work in the Service. Very glad you have been treated respectfully with the. Health care from the VA. My close friends husband has been a VA client and also had prompt and top tier care for extreme issues which is not always the story but one to be delighted to have reproved.

Hello,

Individuals will never know they failed to preserve your dignity if you don't tell them. Waiting for your next encounter will just prolong the time necessary for them to change their methods. If they're rushed to prepare for another patient, that's not your problem. You or your insurance paid for the treatment. You should be given that treatment in a "respectful way". Unfortunately, "respectful way" is often defined by health care personnel instead of you, the client.

I would suggest that you contact the doctor's office first. Inform the office of what occurred. Additionally, indicate what your expectations were (i.e. that you be allowed to dress in private). Ask that a note be placed in your file that you prefer privacy while dressing. Finally, ask for a verification (return note, email) that your concern has been addressed. Settle for nothing less. As I stated initially, nothing will change unless you SPEAK UP.

PS Dressing and undressing in private is a standard protocol for all health care interactions, period.

i am a long time nudist and EMT, so it never has bothered me
Two years ago I spent almost 4 months in the hospital and a wound care center with the nurses changing my diapers every couple hours.

The only thing that bothered me was them waking me up every two hours to check my diaper, as i have chronic insomnia and never got much sleep.

And to throw the conversation in the opposite direction - I can't get my dermatologist to look below my underwear. I asked my GP if there's no chance of skin cancer in the groin area and she said of course you can have skin cancer there. But when I ask the nurse taking my vitals ahead of the dermatologist coming in if I can remove my underwear, she vehemently tells me no.

Hi @ltapilot,
I would have politely said, "I can appreciate the need to get this room ready for the next patient, but can you please wait until I'm dressed? I won't take that long!"
Or just say, "I'll be ready in 5 minutes or less."
That way you recognize the need for the place to keep the flow of patients moving efficiently, as it were, but you still have the upper hand in the situation.
And I like @Slawrence suggestion to get in touch with the tech's supervisor and describe what you experienced. That way they should at least start with an apology and reinforce their promise that "it won't happen again."

I was once a tech in an ear nose and throat doctor office. It was very hectic but one would never intrude on a patient in a room! It also shows how unclean it is to be cleaning body fluids and medical fluids flapping the sheets off the surgery table when a patient is still present.

Sadly the tech was possibly being berated to work harder, faster by the doctor and nurses behind the scenes.
Their demeanor changes when they set foot in front of the patient.

@Maymay941 That is one reason I'm reluctant to get in touch with the tech's supervisor: She was trying her best to do what she'd been told, and I don't want her to get in trouble over it. The flip side, though, as @Regina mentioned, is that they won't know what happened if I don't tell them. I suppose that's where at least some of my dilemma comes from.

@itapilot I think it is nice of you to consider that the tech was just doing as told. Still, nurses and doctors often need lessons in ‘soft skills’ and communication.

All anyone wants during a urology visit is to be treated like a human rather than a specimen. I’m sorry you were embarrassed. Just remember to speak up next time and all will be well.

@JustAGuy maybe that's the biggest lesson here for me, that I need to be a better advocate for myself. If i need something, I should say something, not stay quiet out of fear that I'm being too demanding.

I think some of the points others made above are really good as well. I need to figure out how to quit being so ashamed of my incontinence. I don't think I'll ever be one of the people who just doesn't care if everybody finds out, but I need to find a way to stop fearing that people will think less of me because of it.

Itapilot every one has the right to bodily privacy. It is quite all right to not broadcast ones continence.
It is also fine to ask for privacy in a a medical setting although a medical condition is NOTHING to be ashamed of.

I'm curious if you are a fall risk like I'm, as the nurses never leave me alone long or not at all. And yes no matter what, one needs to have the time to get themselves back in place even thou with me, they help me diaper and dress.

@Boomersway They listed me as a fall risk the last several times I was hospitalized, and set a bed alarm so that if I got up without the alarm being disarmed it would alert them. When I questioned why, they said that they've started doing that for all patients because of the liability problems if someone does fall. I had no way to verify whether they really did that for all the other patients, but I am not at particularly high risk for falls under normal circumstances.

On the other hand, the last several times I've been hospitalized I've been on lots of pain killers. That may be the reason that they wanted me on the bed alarm. It was annoying to not be able to get out of bed and sit in the chair without having to get the nurse or a tech in to help me.