Urodynanmics Test

Archives1

Staff member
I have to do a Urodynamics test in a couple weeks. The dr said it’s a couple catheters etc while they test my bladder.
I’ve never had a catheter before and am a little nervous about having one inserted.

Anyone have this test done that can ease my mind lol??

Having a catheter inserted is not a big deal. It's not fun, but not the worst thing you will experience in your life.

Nothing to worry about. You don't feel anything except a full bladder. They slowly pump a saline solution in your bladder, with a tiny camera, look around, then empty your bladder. Takes about 10 minutes or so. Only thing you'll feel is a full bladder.

For the most part, I agree with what has already been said...HOWEVER...I am a man, but the 2 nurses were not! They were professional about everything, so no blame on them - just my embarrassment. Being naked is bad enough, but I was instructed to lean back against a board that had a short, little seat with a bucket between my legs to catch the mess that I was going to make.

One of the purposes of the test is to determine how much urine I can hold before having to relieve yourself. As mentioned above they drain you and then start filling you up until you say "uncle"!

One of the things that sometimes happens when my bladder is full is that it can cause a bowel movement too. I can't always tell before I get down to business :eek:. So, to play it safe, I will often sit down to urinate. However, in this case, I knew I was going to have a BM.

The room we were in did not have a toilet, and I anxiously explained that I needed to have one quickly! They said just go ahead and do it while you are standing! I didn't have time to explain the science of kinetics and what to expect when something with mass hits a pain of urine. So, I quickly dried myself with the only towel they gave me, put on my clothes, and ran across the hall to the restroom. I made it in time, but just barely. :)

I hope this doesn't scare you, and I hope everything goes well for you.

I’ve had the complete urodynamic test done. Inserting the catheter is not a big issue. Additional sensors will be stuck on and you get to lay back over a large bowl to catch any leakage as water is used to fill your bladder. For me there wasn’t anyway to tell what or how the tests reveal issues. I was diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder which in my case the dr. described it my bladder reacts like a babies. Essentially I’m urinary incontinent. I was encouraged to find out my problems were medical in nature which allows me to handle it the best way possible. Proper protection is essential.

Think they said neurogenic bladder is one thing they were testing for. I’ve been diabetic for quite a few years and they mentioned possible nerve damage.
I been seeing urology for a couple years now, tried bunch of meds with some success.
They offered PTNS, Botox or a intererstem trial next after this Urodynamics test.
Tests make me nervous but I’m ready to hopefully find out more answers.

i use a intermittent catheter three times a day and it's no big deal.
i do hate having a foley catheter as it's irritating.

Had it done twice. The first time it was by two young female technicians, and they were more embarrassed than I was. Second one, it was a male assistant, and I basically said "I know it's embarrassing, just do what you need to do." He was super straight forward and we were done in what felt like 10 minutes.

As other said, a small catheter isn't terrible. You will get a pressure catheter in your rectum which can be odd. If you approach it straightforward then it's just easier IMO.

lorumipsum said:
Had it done twice. The first time it was by two young female technicians, and they were more embarrassed than I was. Second one, it was a male assistant, and I basically said "I know it's embarrassing, just do what you need to do." He was super straight forward and we were done in what felt like 10 minutes.

As other said, a small catheter isn't terrible. You will get a pressure catheter in your rectum which can be odd. If you approach it straightforward then it's just easier IMO.

Well Said!

Clearly men have much larger urethras than do women if you don’t think a catheter hurts. It also depends on if the urologist chooses to use a hard, inflexible metal catheter or a modem plastic, flexible catheter. My urologist who did the cystoscopy used the metal catheter and it was big enough to insert a camera into. It was excruciating.