Urine bag noise

Archives1

Staff member
I have been using condom catheters and 2 liter drainage bags semi regularly for a while now.
My wife has mentioned to me recently that sometimes at night when I void the gurgling noise from the bag as it fills wakes her. Has anyone had to deal with this?

No, the problem I have with them is that I move around too much in bed and everything gets tangled up. Leakage is too big a risk, just as it is during the day- if somehow the bag leaks or the hose comes off, a pair of shoes is ruined; add to that the odor of spilled urine that would be hours old would be a tell-tale sign. It's just not worth the risk for anyone even with diminished mobility. For someone in a wheelchair, it's a better option, so long as they don't overfill it.

@notarobot,
Your wife must have amazing hearing, I’d hate to try and sneak and pass wind around her! I used a bag with condom & Foley caths for years, but I never ran into that, but who knows I was the kid who had to stand directly in front of the speakers at every concert of my youth.
Did Eric Clapton or Carlos Santana really sound that much better 6 inches away from my ears😳?.., So although I used them every day starting in my late 20’s I’ll never know.It makes me wonder if those around me heard it and just didn’t say anything, not that it would make any difference. A few times friends pulled me aside and told me I might want to check my fill level as they could hear the sloshing of the bag when I walked!
I think I might put some thought into a quiet noise machine if it bothers her!

Great idea sprung87 as I think the machine you are talking about are sometimes also referred to as grey noise.

As I think the concept really is if any other sound is present your wife wouldn’t be able to hear the bag fill.

Cheers

Jason

I think what is going on here, is somewhere there is a kink or someway the urine is cutoff from traveling to the bag. then you move some and then it travels quickly to the bag as you move. I wear a Foley off and on in-between straight cathing 6 times per day. It is really hard sometimes not to get kinks. Just my take.

As Snow says maybe diapers is the way to go unless you have urinary retention like me, but still wear them as I never know. If I dont have a Foley in for the evening, then diaper goes on for bedtime.