Update. Post appointment today.

Archives1

Staff member
Well, today I saw a surgery PA-C that works with my Colon surgeon and got my recovery from having the temporary implant remover. I was early as always so got more time with PA-C.

We went over everything and I got to ask some really hard questions as well as get PA-C to take on what will be next.

A few big things came up.

1) Ostomy surgery is next (Do not have a date yet)
2) Surgery is 90% going to be open due to past surgery (PA-C even wants me to get a past surgery spot checked as it has some issues but not bad)
3) If surgery is open I am looking at a 7-14 day stay in hospital
4) One of my parents has to be here (Need a medical proxy)
5) For my own sanity I do not want the surgery during the middle of the summer.
6) PA-C feels that I will likely need two tests before surgery (Liquid contrast CT or MRI)Might need an MRI type test to check my digestive system

The last thing is that I am not scared or worried about this yet but there were talks about the life changes that will come with this surgery but I am hopeful for a quality of life improvement so.

The only other thing that came up was the fact that this surgery may not stop me from needing medication (Could need more or different medication after) so I will see once I talk to my surgeon.

All in, not a bad day. Just ready to get on with things.

My very closest cousin suffered throughout his childhood and post college with undiagnosed IBS and his life was HELL, until he got the Ostomy surgery. It was as if this enormous weight had been lifted and for the first time he could really live his life without living in or near a bathroom. Not to mention how sick he always felt, and the tremendous constant anxiety due to fear of an accident.
He has a GREAT! Life now, a wonderful wife, his only problem now is he has three very beautiful daughters that keep him constantly on his toes! We have talked at great length, and he considers that surgery not only life changing, but gave him the ability to have a real life.
I hope it works similarly for you, you deserve a break!