Unpredictable

Archives1

Staff member
It will be one year since my prostatectomy on 25 of March. My incontinence has improved a lot. I don't wear any protection at night and can risk it for a couple of hours in the morning if I'm just making breakfast, getting shaved etc. I now use very light shields and prefer to use 2 or even 3 of these rather than one thicker pad. Some days my leakage is in single figures (millitres) Other days the leakage is in the teens or twenties and in the odd occasion it can be the " bad old days " eg one evening I went for a longer walk and leaked 104 MLS. Generally I am driest in the early part of the day and find I need to finish working outside by 3.30 or 4.00 pm. Can anyone else relate to this sort of pattern. I am beginning to consider the possibility of futher surgery but I have read on some sites that improvement can continue for up to 18 months of even 2 years so I'm not in an immediate rush. Any thoughts?

Yes usually 3 or 4:sets in a day . One or two sets I try to do at the same time as stretches or exercises like step ups. Another set I might do standing ( usually over the toilet as I can leak a bit during the 50 quick flicks) Other times I might be seated. Those better days on the whole I find are the more sedentary ones like a Sunday. The worse days are more active. The temptation I am experiencing is being less active if I don't want to leak. But I know that's not good for your health in other ways

I'm over 9 months out from my RP, still leaky (3 heavy pads a day, Depends at night) and was recently told by my doc that 18-24 out could be the time table for me. I had TURP a few years before my RP so he said that may delay things by about 6 months. So your timetable sounds right to me.

I am only three months post op, but can relate to your experience. I too don't have to wear pads when sleeping and during the day, mornings are pretty good, but afternoons can be disastrous if I don't have a heavy pad/incontinence underwear. most days it is very light leaks; most frustrating is that I have to go to the bathroom very frequently (am able to hold, if I pee every 60-90 minutes). Doing Kegels regularly and that seems to be helping - hoping eventually I can go back to normal. I am told that it by 6 months post op there is a good chance I will not need pads any more. Hoping!

Hi--- I am now 23 months out. Have written before about my progression (everyone is different!) but to make it short, I had little improvement for 3-4 months, then sudden improvement to about 60%; then at 8-9 months another sudden improvement and gradually got to about 85-90%; now at 23 months I would estimate I am 95% dry and showing continual gradual improvement. Some days almost completely OK, sometimes a little excess leaking -- almost always after 6 pm. Dry overnight every night. Hang in there -- improvement will continue!

Hbrownlow, I am not quite 11 months from RP, and you have described my days to a tee. If I don't improve any more from here on, I can live with this. It's manageable, and is not limiting my life in any way, except maybe swimming. I wouldn't consider any more surgery until I was at least 24 months post-op. Good luck my friend.

Slight improvement for me after 2 years, dr said probably won’t get any better at 68. I’m scheduled for AUS surgery next Wednesday.

Resist temptation to slow down exercise/activity. The more the better. I’m 5+ out from RP at 75 and need pad/day unless active, which I usually am. None at night ever. I like your simple but effective step-ups for pelvic floor. You mentioned your one long walk. Like 10 billion kegels, one long walk (3-5 miles) isn’t enough to strengthen the usually neglected pelvic floor. I was walking 5-6 miles 3x/week until various body parts stopped me in the fall. I’m about to restart walking, along with power yoga 3/wk and weights at gym. 2 days/week I am xeriscaping along with rattlers now. So before you cut, consider more exercise.

Lots of guys have success with AUS, although many still need a pad or more per day. I opted against it as my current urologist thought I would probably still need a pad/day because of my activity. So the gains of AUS were limited for me. Too many downs with loss of several weeks recuperation during which one can’t do much. I lost 2 months last year from OMICRON, and re-climbing the fitness mountain was terrible. Also AUS failure rates vary broadly, from what I’ve read, between immediate, or 4-8 years before replacement surgery.

I’m very wary of medical statistics after being told by my original urologist/surgeon that I’d be totally dry in 6-12 months at most. And when one realistically looks at the world-wide devastation of COVID-19 over the last 3 years, I don’t trust any suggestions that it’s over because we don’t have any reliable statistics. Sorry for my drifting, but with at-home testing and the weak emergency treatment on a Saturday morning, I got with 103.5 fever on 5/22, they denied me and my wife Paxlovid 2 days after onset. We have no idea what the true numbers are or what variants still may emerge that we won’t be prepared for.

I consequently chose no more cutting for elective surgery. Do as much reading as you can unless you have great faith in your urologist.

Please wait 2 years on more surgery but keep close contact with your Urologist. Kegels are your friend. READ...for information and inspiration. Keep reading this website. Go to YouTube.com and search for articles by Urologists and personal testimonies. The National Library of Medicine.gov has some of the most reliable articles.https://www.nlm.nih.gov/ Try the short address and see if it works: www.nlm.gov Prayer and reading the Psalms help me. GOD BLESS.

@Hbrownlow I have not had your history. I have OAB. To me what seems to be occurring is fluid intake. At night we are asleep and have no fluid intake. In the early part of the day we start fluid intake and by afternoon that is working it's way out of our body. And for me at least seems to be the reason of more significant leaks. We need to have fluid intake and I have in the past dehydrated myself ahead of time to have better control for one reason or another. I Just get up and do not drink anything until I am done with what I needed to do. That is not good for me though and I am trying to control my OAB in other ways. Medications helped for a while. I had a nerve stimulator test that showed some results and I am going to have the permanent device implanted in the near future. The chance of them being able to dial in a setting that will last seems to be about 50%. Worth a chance for me. I have separate pouch underwear and use TP to line the penis pouch. Then change the TP whenever I use the bathroom. That way I don't have a reaction to the commercial pads and I do not have to carry them around or worry about running out. TP is always available in a restroom. It is low cost also. If you are having heavier leaks I did see a post where a member would use rubber bands to hold paper in place and a then more rubber bands to hold a plastic bag over the paper. This keeps the leak trapped at the penis and away from other areas. Same thing with my separate pouch underwear and Just TP. If the leak dampens the pouch the fresh dry TP will dry it up. I can adjust the amount of layers of TP as needed. The increasing amount of TP I needed was the gauge that showed my medication was not working as well as it had once do so.

Best of luck to you and I hope some of this was helpful.

I am 6 months past RP surgery. Your pattern is like mine. I use one or two heavy pads during day. One pull up gets me through the night. Early in the day is drier, more leakage as day goes and with activity. I’ve had some improvement in the last few months, but very gradual. I’m working with a PT. As my moniker indicates, I cycle - indoors in winter. I do not leak when on a bike saddle, and it seems to keep me dry for an hour or two after. My PT says that it can take a year or more to get back to normal, or as close to it as possible.I would not have a problem if I had to wear a light pad during the day, and dry at night.

@stryder I’m confident that we haven’t seen the worst of COVID yet. It’s too intelligent and will likely outsmart us.

Doing as much exercise as possible is not advisable for everyone. For instance, it’s not advisable for people with osteoporosis with the extra risk of more fractures, and also fractures that will not heal, nor advisable for people with severe osteoarthritis like me. My knee doctor told me to quit doing stairs and working out at the gym because of the damage I’ve done to my knees. He also told me to quit backpacking, snowboarding, and skiing and I did. My back doctor told me to quit doing yoga. So that stupid saying “motion is lotion,” doesn’t apply to everyone. If you don’t have conditions that limit the amount of exercise you can do, consider yourself lucky. I wish that was the case for me like it used to be!

@brownlow: Those rubber bands must be loose enough to allow fresh, red, oxygenated blood to flow in freely at all times. I'm 88. When I was about 10 years old some kid put a tight rubber band on his penis and came close to losing it. (You only get one!) It's a personal call as to how tight the rubber band is. If the penis begins to turn dark or blue, get the rubber band off in a hurry. It has become the number one thing in your life!

My urologist would say "drink a half-gallon of water and then do what you have to do to manage its exit." Pads are not my thing because I drink a good bit of water and the pads saturate and spill over.

My full-time occupation became: "Pad Manager." I went to the external catheter with a drain tube and leg bag. Not perfect or trouble-free but for me, it beat the pads. As long as there are no kinks or connector leaks or catheter pulling off, I lose all sense that I'm wearing it.

The 19oz bag (not good to go larger than that) is a good companion. But the bag is boss if it gets full. A full drain tube will quickly create enough pressure to break the seal at the penis and pull the catheter off. (It's an external catheter).

Wow, I can’t imagine a rubber band! There’s no such solution for a woman! Maybe a tiny clothespin? Ouch, that would really hurt; I’d rather wear protection.

@Hbrownlow Yes, I can relate to what you say. I am 19 months out from surgery, and I am almost completely continent. My leakage is so slight that I now feel comfortable wearing regular underwear throughout the day and at night while sleeping - something I wasn't even close to being able to do at 12 months. So, keep the faith. You seem to be on track to full continence. I will also add that it was probably at 12 months when I decided to forgo kegels altogether. I continued to walk several miles a day most days of the week, and I did light weight resistance about three days a week. I don't know if the exercises helped the continence along, but I can safely say that forgoing kegels had no impact on my incontinence.

@snowThe direction of a mans leak can change so my and the other solution will move with what ever the direction is. Up, down, left or right. Of course this is only for men with light leaking and has never stopped a full urination and not knowing it until I felt the wetness other places. The other plastic bag/rubber band would maybe help with heavier leaking. Pads give me a large rash even with lite leaks the TP does not. Just my way of dealing and maybe it will help someone else.

Thank you all so much. I appreciate the encouragement. Today I was shovelling gravel, filling potholes in our lane I live on a small farm in the country. Then I finished cladding a garden shed I was building, lots of bending, cutting, climbing steps , nailing etc. A pretty good day despite the activity
Just 4 millimetres in the lightest pad until lunch time. Then exactly the same again until 4.00 pm. As some have said I could live with that if it never got any better. As I said not every day is as good and I can't put in down to any reason, food, drinks etc. What has been so interesting with your replies is that a number mention improvement up to two years. Here again there is conflicting information out there, some medical practices talking about a year and some mentioning the 18 month deadline and some two years. Again thank you all so much. The good folks on this website are such a blessing

You couldn't hear me clapping for your good day or my prayer of thanks breathed for you. Keep it up and as my daddy drilled into me: "keep on the sunny side of life!" (He got that off a record by the Carter Family in the 30s) And Lucy in Peanuts proclaimed: "I just want ups!'