Tub bathing: Yay or nay

Archives1

Staff member
My name is Amanda and I am a LPN who has recently taken on the care of my grandmother who has dementia and urinary incontinence. I am wondering about tub bathing and whether it would be a better option for her. We have acquired a wonderful walk in tub but have received some resistance when it comes to the installment of said tub from my grandfather. How might I convince him that it is truly necessary to the management of her daily needs? HELP!

Tub bathing is very important. I am 70, and firmly believe that tub bathing is the best way to flush the skin and openings of ones body. The big issue is not to sit in a tub with soaps, scented bath salts or oils. I have always taken a bath and used the soap at the end just before I get out. Taking a shower just does not soak the skin and get into the folds like a bath. My personal opinion is the walk in tub is a wonderful option for people who are disabled or in need of bathing assistance.
Try to get your grandfather to try it out. He may be pleasantly surprised. Let us know how it goes.

The only problem with such a bath tub is you have to sit in the tub while it fills up; also sit there while it drains completely.

The real problem is skin not getting clean, you have to at least a couple times a week thoroughly clean the areas that are in contact with the urine. The skin breaks down quite easy and needs to be cared for as I'm sure your aware of being a nurse. I would tell your father it's not an option to only shower and have the tub installed, it's for there benefit!!