Trial void after catheter removal from prostate surgery

Archives1

Staff member
Can someone tell me what to expect and his to prepare for the office visit after catheter is removed? I’m supposed to come back 5 hours later, should I wear a pull up ? I’m assuming I won’t be able to control any leakage. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Take at least 1-2 pull ups and a couple of maxi pads with you. If you have to go back in 5 hours, you'll definitely soak through. Be prepared mentally for this. It's quite a shock to have NO control over your bladder. Remember to do your kegels everyday. All my hard work is finally starting to kick in after 3.5 months.

I wore a pull up to the Urologists appointment, which was right after my catheter removal. It was soaked by the time I got done there after about an hour. I found that I could get a lot more usage out of the pull ups if I wore the maxipad with them, so I am still doing that one month out. Doing your kegels will help you to gain more and more control as time goes on. I am actually getting a signal now that I should stop and go to the bathroom, but I will stop anyway in about hour and a half intervals and try to urinate even without a signal. I generally will get some flow regardless, which keeps me from becoming sopping wet, and that will allow for for a pad change, not a complete pad and pullup change. That will happen to you in the first few weeks, but it will get better! Try taking some of Larry Kings Prosta Genix. It has been a big help to me! Keep your bowel movements as regular as you can. And use a laxative to lessen the straining. I found that morphene and other pain killers really tied things up for me for awhile in that area. Good luck and keep us posted. This is a group of tough people who want to help each other get past it.

It was easy and simple for me. The urologist took the catheter out. They fill your bladder first through the catheter, then deflate the ballon holding it in place and take it out. Then you pee in a hand held urinal jar, emptying your full bladder- so the urologist is sure you can pee ok. They had a pull-up for me and you go home and wear pull-ups or pads whichever you need. It’s a simple process. Sometimes a nurse will take the catheter out. So don’t worry about it.

I wore a pad with briefs for my office visit for catheter removal. It was pretty wet by the time we got home about 1.5 hours later. I wore a pullup with maxipads for quite a while as I had little control for a while. It's not fun but you WILL slowly regain control. Do the kegels and keep a positive attitude. I was almost completely dry at 3 months post robotic prostatectomy and had been using briefs and a pad for a few weeks. I am about halfway through 7.5 weeks of adjunct beam radiation therapy and have regressed just a little bit but still using one pad a day with briefs and it really doesn't get all that wet. My urologist assures me that once we are done with the radiation that I should go back to mostly if not complete dryness.

It's not fun but sure beats the hell out of cancer!