Traveling with a group

Archives1

Staff member
My wife and I will be going on a pub tour trip in Ireland a year or so from now. I know that seems like a long way off, but my anxiety is already rising a bit. We will be with a group of 22 traveling in several counties and stopping at Irish pubs in the evening. One of the couples we will be with know of my incontinence and need for diapers. Another couple we know, but they are not aware of my situation. They know of my prostatectomy, but not my need for diapers. My question is, should I tell them or take my chances and hope it won't be a problem? Obviously, I will need to take more luggage than others which may cause a few questions. I'm wondering if anyone on this support group has experienced a similar situation, and how they managed it. Then, there is the other 20 or so people we will be with??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Dennis

Best not to bring it up unless you want to. Let anyone who asks, incontinence is a side effect of your surgery. Maybe you can put some of your supplies in your wife's luggage.

@Damp maybe tell the other couple that you have side effects to surgery? I have told a few people at work and it hasn't bothered them, or at least they haven't said anything. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but someone asked why I carry a small rucksack around all the time. I said it has medical supplies in it, they didn't ask for details.

My advice is just do what you normally do and don't worry what others think. I recently travelled to the States with a friend for a Month. He knew nothing of my incontinene, nightly bedwetting and need for nappies. I just told him when the need arose and he was fine with it. We shared hotel rooms and he saw me in nappies and plastic pants for bed and my pull up's that I wore during the day while on holiday.
No one will ae if someone has to wear pads or slips as we get older it is quite OK.

Hi Dennis,

I would not offer it voluntarily but if someone were to see you in a pad, you can then tell them you have medical conditions that require you to wear protection.

Anytime I'm worried I'll make jokes ahead of time so that if something happens it isn't as embarrassing.
You mentioned your wife, have her put extra protection in her purse so that she can remind you (if you're drinking) to change.
I've been in this situation many times and it's manageable with a bit of help from the wife.

I have traveled with bigger groups [30] or more would worry but managed to make it with the help of my wife.So don't let it keep you from going.

I don't think you need to tell anyone anything. Surely you're not staying in the same room every night. Wear black or dark pants in case of a leak and don't worry about it! Just have fun and enjoy your trip and your friends!