Tips for when small leaks turn into full bladder leaks?

Archives1

Staff member
I am fully aware nobody in here is a doctor. Over the past few days I have had more bladder spasms/full bladder leaks unpredictably. I know what type of incontinence I have but what I am trying to figure out is what is healthier for me in this juncture. I am awaiting a urologist but it could be another month, realistically.

The scenario is basically either I have small leaks, randomly, then don't go to the bathroom only to have full bladder leaks later, or just straight up full bladder leaks happen.

What I am kind of wondering is, even if a full bladder leak happens, should you go to the toilet and try to empty whatever remains, or just let it go, like not worry about it? Are there any risks either way to going or not going?

I wonder when stuff like this comes up for all of us, that waiting for help can make things worse which most of the time it does. Medicine has gotten to be so like a business that it is next to impossible to get in to see someone or call when you need help now. We have a mychart with our system where we can ask questions. I wonder if you have anything like this or you can go to urgent care. Because to me what you are explaining is urgent and if your urologist can't see you for a month. I know it took me 6 weeks to get an appointment to see mind and all I am seeing in the PA. So this being said, it is almost impossible to see your doctor directly anymore. Even my messages to him on mychart are screened by his assistant. Good Luck, I am thinking of a way around this. Barb

BarbaraDrabek said:
I wonder when stuff like this comes up for all of us, that waiting for help can make things worse which most of the time it does. Medicine has gotten to be so like a business that it is next to impossible to get in to see someone or call when you need help now. We have a mychart with our system where we can ask questions. I wonder if you have anything like this or you can go to urgent care. Because to me what you are explaining is urgent and if your urologist can't see you for a month. I know it took me 6 weeks to get an appointment to see mind and all I am seeing in the PA. So this being said, it is almost impossible to see your doctor directly anymore. Even my messages to him on mychart are screened by his assistant. Good Luck, I am thinking of a way around this. Barb

I recently moved from several states away so it is totally starting over. The people should be helpful when I am able to get help, I am just trying to avoid complicating my issues until then so to speak. I appreciate the advice as well, and I hope you can get help sooner..It is dreadful nobody can see their doctors more urgently, but incontinence seems to be taken lightly as well from what I have noticed.

Hi @Koigal, what I do is if I get leaking a little, I do go to the bathroom (at the very first opportunity) to get it out of my system, as it were. That way you kind of give your bladder a head start on things and you can go back to what you were doing and not have to worry about it for a while.
I know that if small leaks are not tended to when you have the chance then they definitely become bigger and your bladder begins to spasm when it gets really full.
So if you get those "hints" and you're not doing anything else, just go!!
Have you lined up a urologist and made an appointment? Did they tell you it would be a month before you could be seen?
If you can, maybe you can ask around and try to find out about this urologist and see if you can determine what people think about him (or her).
As for your question about the risks of not going, if you don't go when you have the chance, then you'll soon be going even more at the risk of a complete flood.

It is hard starting over, even when not it is hard. Especially now this virus crap. It is just awful. I would call the social worker at the hospital and ask them for some recommendations. I know we are not dying just miserable. This affects our whole life, mental depression by not being able to go out ,etc.

billliveshere said:
Hi @Koigal, what I do is if I get leaking a little, I do go to the bathroom (at the very first opportunity) to get it out of my system, as it were. That way you kind of give your bladder a head start on things and you can go back to what you were doing and not have to worry about it for a while.
I know that if small leaks are not tended to when you have the chance then they definitely become bigger and your bladder begins to spasm when it gets really full.
So if you get those "hints" and you're not doing anything else, just go!!
Have you lined up a urologist and made an appointment? Did they tell you it would be a month before you could be seen?
If you can, maybe you can ask around and try to find out about this urologist and see if you can determine what people think about him (or her).
As for your question about the risks of not going, if you don't go when you have the chance, then you'll soon be going even more at the risk of a complete flood.

I am waiting on part 2 of insurance packet to begin this journey. I also am currently more focused on the neurological issues if they are connected. The packet can take a month to show up, and that is also assuming availability to get in with a new doctor is reasonable within a month or so *which it may, or may not be*. I am currently just more focused on managing and prevention right now since I have dealt with this to some degree before, just not as random. I think your advice is really good because I also want to avoid UTI risks right now until I can get care. I will be sure to go when a smaller leak happens just to be preventative about it.

@Koigal My best advice is to wear protection. And yes, after a full bladder release, I would go to the bathroom to change the diaper, wash yourself, and try to pee a little bit more. I find that when I’ve leaked a little, there is more left inside to push out deliberately. You could do that without going to the bathroom, I guess, just do a little pee wherever you are and nobody will know, as long as you’re wearing protection. Me, I don’t dare do it consciously (dunno why) - pee in a diaper.

I’m looking forward to the time when you get health insurance so you can figure out what’s going on, and try Botox. None of the pills work thoroughly for me, though Oxybutynin helps a little. It severely rotted my teeth in just two years so now I only take it if I’m going to a movie or a concert or something.

@snow Do you mind if I ask what you mean by wash yourself? I am trying to be money conscious but I realize I should probably change after 2 full bladder leaks, even if it isn't leaking out of the side.I think going to the bathroom is my best bet because im worried my bladder may assume its ok to go in public more if I do that, but that isn't a bad suggestion in emergencies.

Sometimes I think being too money conscious/trying to hold off using a new one isn't also causing issues. Despite living with this incontinence for years I was basically told by the doctor 'You have it, good luck, try using catheters."

BTW, thank you for your helpful insight. I am going to try those Nightshield Depend ones you mentioned. Im not fully sure I am handling the hygiene aspect well honestly.

@Koigal You’re welcome! In the mornings when I have a wet diaper, actually even when I don’t have a wet diaper, I use a cheap washcloth from Walmart. I have about 20 of them. Probably cost $10-$20. Via the washcloth, I use soap and water to clean my pelvic region. I only use that washcloth once. At the end of the week, I wash them. I also use them if I have an accident in public. I always have a couple of diapers and washcloths and grocery bags in the trunk of my car for daytime accidents. I have considered trying wipes but I find them to be too tiny. (Anyone have any suggestions for larger wipes?)

Last week I went camping for the first time since I became incontinent. Big step for me. Everything went great! Remember that this summer I also took a 3-week-long vacation to CA, wherein I did all the driving by myself (2700 miles round trip), I stayed with friends, etc. I have had a very liberating summer! I finally feel in control enough of my leaks and rhythms to be able to travel, take long drives, and camp. Geez, it only took 6.7 years to happen!!!!!!!!! Acceptance takes a long time, but it does eventually happen.

snow said:
@Koigal You’re welcome! In the mornings when I have a wet diaper, actually even when I don’t have a wet diaper, I use a cheap washcloth from Walmart. I have about 20 of them. Probably cost $10-$20. Via the washcloth, I use soap and water to clean my pelvic region. I only use that washcloth once. At the end of the week, I wash them. I also use them if I have an accident in public. I always have a couple of diapers and washcloths and grocery bags in the trunk of my car for daytime accidents. I have considered trying wipes but I find them to be too tiny. (Anyone have any suggestions for larger wipes?)

Last week I went camping for the first time since I became incontinent. Big step for me. Everything went great! Remember that this summer I also took a 3-week-long vacation to CA, wherein I did all the driving by myself (2700 miles round trip), I stayed with friends, etc. I have had a very liberating summer! I finally feel in control enough of my leaks and rhythms to be able to travel, take long drives, and camp. Geez, it only took 6.7 years to happen!!!!!!!!! Acceptance takes a long time, but it does eventually happen.

@snow Not sure if this helps or not, but Tena has some bigger wash clothes, as does Northshore that are disposable. I do find its annoying to carry the bigger disposable wash cloths with me, however they are really helpful for cleaning up. Thank you for the tip by the way. I own a few Tena wipes and they do a good job if they have them locally.

Snow: The best wipes I've found are the Walmart Assurance wipes. They are reasonably priced and much bigger than any other brand. They seem to stay very moist too unlike many others.

@Koigal you wear pull ups right? How do you have multiple full voids in a pull up? One full void and they leak on me.

@justej It is possibly my capacity is lower honestly, I thought the average pullup held 1 and was a bit confused as to the why. I usually wear Always Discreet pullups or Depend brand. I really shouldn't push past 2 but I had no idea 1 typically fills it, which probably means lower capacity for me. Ill have to have a doctor confirm that, but very interesting.

Hi Koigal,

I think it's more or less as billliveshere already wrote. However - this is ultimately something you should discuss with your urologist. If you go to the bathroom every time a little accident happens, it probably won't have any difference in developing your bladder capacity if you just do it over a few months.

As for the expense, that's really hard to say which is better and you'll probably have to weigh that more carefully. Sometimes it is cheaper to use lighter products - sometimes it is not. It depends on the products, their price and of course the number of accidents that happen to you.

From a skin perspective, it's better to stay dry - so more changes and lighter products are better for the skin. Whether this strategy is also better for the bladder needs to be discussed with the urologist - whether it is better for the wallet needs to be worked out. In general, the goal should be to gain more control over the bladder and restore bladder volume. If there is a chance of achieving this goal with Kegels and bladder training, it should be attempted. If not (due to neurological defects, for example), it probably needs a different strategy. What exactly that looks like you have to discuss with the urologist. And the chances are good that this time it will be better than the last...

However, until the appointment, I think it is important to find a solution that suits you best. I don't think you need to worry that you are doing something wrong here. It's always a balance between safety, price and comfort.

It is really strange, I remember having it both ways, and what I mean by that is one time I completely FLOODED an always pullup after an appointment. Someone was in the bathroom, and since I lived about 10 minutes away I figured I could hold it. The minute I got in my car and sat down it was like NOPE!!

I usually can't do that even if I wanted too, but the appointment lasted an hour so I think that might be partially to blame. I have had other times where I can have 3 bigger bladder leaks in the same brand pullup without a leak, so not sure why the inconsistency on my end. I think if your bladder is consistent with its issues, its more predictable. So many things can affect capacity as well.