Tips for incontienence and for those wearing diapers

Archives1

Staff member
I’ve been incontinent since my accident on January 3rd of 2015. I have had limited mobility since that time as well. It’s been a struggle but I have learned a lot. I thought I’d share some things that have helped me. Especially as someone who is on disability with a limited income.

Buy in bulk. Get diapers, wipes, etc by the case. It is cheaper and you will probably have extras that you can store to use when you don’t have the money. Get a product that would work around the house but not when you are out? Keep it! It will come in handy later.

Use pul or plastic pants. These can be reused over and over and help prevent leaks. Garywear is a great product. I keep a large jug of laundry detergent in the bathroom and wash them by hand then air dry them. They are usually ready to go in 24 hours.

Get some bodysuits/onsies. I’m a fan of the tank ones and they can be bought on eBay. They keep your diaper from showing if your shirt rides up. The tank style also can be worn under a T-shirt. (I personally wear a lot of tshirts.)

A good diaper pail or trash can with a lid will help keep your place from smelling. I also use fabreeze spray every once in awhile and as a bonus it helps with my cats littler box. Scented trash bags also help.

Need to dispose of your diapers while out? Once again buy in bulk. T-shirt bags can be bought by the hundreds for cheap on eBay or Amazon. They will last you forever.

Incontienence is manageable. It’s not easy and I know I have my down days. I’m an amputee and changing at home and especially when out is not easy. But it’s doable. Keep your head up. It’s not the end of the world. There are a lot of us out there who deal with this from injury, birth defects, pregnancy, prostate cancer and even people without a cause. You are not alone.

@snow holy crap! I know I will never forget that day. The day that changed my life forever. I’m sure you can relate.

Thank you for your post. I think my issues stemmed later in 2015 but can't fully remember. Very helpful tips. Since I work at a pharmacy I actually am just going to buy bulk pull ups with discount and keep them at the store to save my back, then I don't need to carry as much each day.

With a little though incontinence can be managed. I have been this way for almost 10 years now and it has just become a way of life.