That dreaded time of the month, Reorder time.

Archives1

Staff member
Does it ever get any easier ordering your supplies each month?

Every time I click order I am out another few hundred dollars.

I so wish that money could stay in my bank account but such is life.

I feel for you. It is challenging enough to deal with incontinence. Made even worse because supplies are so expensive.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I buy or use cloth pull-on diapers and plastic pants. My initial cost was 300.00 plus. That was about 4 yrs. ago. My only cost now is laundry. I only use 1 diaper a day. I hope some day the prices will come down to make it more affordable for everyone that has an incontinence issues.

I'm old enough to have Medicare and lately I've seen info online that says they cover these supplies. If true, I wish I had known this sooner. The cost can be crushing.

I am also on Medicare, but have not seen any information about supplies being covered. It's possible catheters may be, but not diapers. If anyone knows of information regarding Medicare covering the cost of diapers, I would appreciate knowing. I'm sure others would as well.

Yes, it's a bummer. I'm going to try not using Depends briefs and just pads with underwear. I have been using both Depends and a pad.

It's ridiculous that US insurance companies and Medicare don't cover incontinence supplies. It's like we're second class citizens - people who need diabetic supplies, ostomy supplies, and wound care supplies get their medical needs covered by insurance, but we don't. Do they not think it's a legitimate medical need?

Maybe it's time at start writing letters to our lawmakers and see if we can get something done. I remember when mental health treatment had different deductibles, less coverage, and small lifetime caps - now federal law requires parity in mental health coverage. We need the same thing for incontinence.

How many folks struggle to afford decent produce for managing incontinence? When I need catheters, I can work with my insurance company to get the right ones. If I end up with an ostomy, I'll be able to find a suitable pouching system that meets my needs. Why do they treat incontinence products and differently? It's not right.

I think that one of the problems that Medicare doesn't cover incontinence supplies, diapers for example, is that there are those that purchase them that don't need them. It would probably be difficult for the gov't. to determine who needs these supplies legitimately and who doesn't.

Seems like a Dr could vouch for the need just like he does for my diabetes supplies, such as blood sugar test supplies.

In Ireland I've a medical card which entitles me to free health care for most things.

You get medical card if you earn below a certain amount on some form of disability payment, welfare or state pension.

So every 2 months I get a regular supply of tape on diapers and net pads delivered.

Most of these companies that advertise “Medicare Covered” just want you to call so they can get your data/ info, and attempt to sell to you. Having dealt with incontinence and on/ off disability Medicare for 30 years I’ve never once received a penny for supplies. Some of these things advertised should be banned, like the insurance companies that advertise they have Medicare replacement coverage etc. once you sign on with them and your rate goes up 200%, you can’t go back for a year until it’s open coverage again. It’s terrible, especially for folks who had a spouse that handled things for them...Sorry, but one of the companies almost talked my Mother into signing, luckily I had power of attorney. She would have lost everything at 79 years old and having raised 9 kids for a living!

artiejr said:
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I buy or use cloth pull-on diapers and plastic pants. My initial cost was 300.00 plus. That was about 4 yrs. ago. My only cost now is laundry. I only use 1 diaper a day. I hope some day the prices will come down to make it more affordable for everyone that has an incontinence issues.

Ditto what he said... When my bedwetting got to the point where I knew I'd have to wear diapers again, I started with the disposable diapers, like everyone does. Not only did the costs start adding up, but for me, the absorbency was not enough. Even though cloth diapers and plastic pants cost a lot in the beginning, I found they save me more in the long run. Of course, I still spend money for my daytime disposable diapers, but hey, gotta save where I can!!

You can try to get a letter of medical necessity through your Urologist. Liberator did that for me through private insurance. I have catheters and supplies covered, and pay for the rest through my FSA.