Thank you Guys

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys,

Ive been on this board for quite some time now. I struggled with Loss of Bladder Control and it took me for a big loop over these past couple of years.

Ive talked to some amazing people on here. Bill, Barbara, Jeff, and some others to name a few.

When memories from your childhood come up. You dont know what quite to do with them. I spent 3 months in an inpatient rehabilitation facility in Pennsylvania to start the journey that ive finally crossed the finish line.

I remember some of the first nights i wet the bed. In 2019. It sucked. Hard. I could barely get out of bed in the morning. I still have that issue. I remember that summer, i spent a day at a wedding party - got home at 5pm and did not wake up until 10am the following morning. It was some of the first few memories of the beginning of a nightmare.

I remember working at a great job prior to COVID-19. I spent 8 weeks in training, not being mandated to sit at a desk. I could get up and use the bathroom when i wanted. I would go so many times a day. But I denied it.

I didnt want to live with the truth until it progressively got worse. I remember getting really sick, and post that got a kidney stone and was taken out of work.

I was the hospital multiple times for my kidneys and bladder, and it just kept getting worse in the first few months just shy of the pandemic.

I hated myself so much. I remember sitting at my desk, bladder spasms so bad that i would just constantly leak. That was right before rehab.

After rehab. Was the journey. The journey of self denial, and self acceptance. I didnt want to accepted myself. Nor my childhood memories.

Who wants to wear a diaper, when you were humiliated with them growing up? I couldnt do it. I slept on mattress pads, a sleeping bag, and was doing my laundry all the time.

But i came here. And you guys helped me.

Bill and Jeff, your kind words like ive said before have meant alot to myself. You gave me words of encouragement while also giving me my dignity.

Bladder spasms suck. I had a bad day today again, so i suppose thats why im reaching out. My bladder spasms are worsened today, yesterday wasnt so bad. Its a crapshoot. Tomorrow? Who knows, but today i leaked all day.

And you know what, i still have a hard time accepting protection. I played video games today to get my mind off of it. But rest assured, ill go to bed tonight and wake up ready to take a new day again by storm.

I hate overactive bladder.
I hate the pain of the spasms.
I can't stand the emotional impact.

But there alot of things that also contributed as to why ive stuck around so long here. Its been a very long mental journey.

If you are suffering from bladder incontinence, spasms, pain, and all the embarrassment to go along with it - your not alone.

Regardless of age, bladder or bowel issues suck. And i pray one day that God will take the pain away.

But i just want to reach and say thank you. Because now i can look at myself in the mirror and not look at myself differently.

I can say, im Trevor. And im just like anybody else.

Equal, not less.

@Honeeecombs

You can do it, dude. Just remember to take each day one at a time, breath, and remember to love yourself.

Good job, Trevor. Don’t forget to expect back steps. They don’t mean you have failed. That’s just the way life works.

Way to go @Honeeecombs!!!😊😊😊 You have just the right attitude and at this point I trust that you will be able to handle any curve balls that life throws your way. You have been through a lot and it has been a long and difficult journey for you.
And now you have accepted yourself and your growth now comes from not letting your perceived physical "shortcomings" be the thing that defines you. But they aren't really shortcomings, but are just a part of who you are. Show me one person who thinks he or she doesn't have any physical limitations or anything wrong physically and you'll be looking a liar!!! Everyone has something he or she isn't proud of but in knowing you through this forum you have so many more things to be proud of than not to be proud of!!
And yes, bladder spasms and the associated leakage are a pain but getting to the point where you accept that you need to wear something absorbent is a big step in accepting what's going on and then it becomes a matter of just proceeding with your life as you should. We have to wear something absorbent, but so what??? In the final analysis it isn't such a huge deal. And you are at the point where you realize you're OK with being you and OK with who you are!! You're at the point where you can allow others to see the real you and not as someone ruled by something to be ashamed of. And when it comes down to it, incontinence is like any other physical feature. We may be shocked and ashamed of it at first but we learn how to handle it and to not let it get in the way of the great people that others (who may not be aware of our physical issues) see in us!!!
And yes, you are Trevor, and I am very happy to know you and know of your overall character!!!
Any time you need to vent about something, well, you know where to find us!!!

@Honeeecombs You are amazing and your journey is real, harsh and inspiring. Keep being you and loving yourself for who you are, and amazing person.

JT

@honeeecombs, thank you. We all need a pat on the back at times, especially with bladder spasms. The looks I got from some doctors when I insisted something was wrong when my bladder crushed my abdominal muscles and radiated down both my arms. I was passed around but I knew sooner or later, someone would listen and give me an answer. I demanded a referral to Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute and I got some answered. I feel so normal when I come here to friends who understand.

Dmorris said:
@honeeecombs, thank you. We all need a pat on the back at times, especially with bladder spasms. The looks I got from some doctors when I insisted something was wrong when my bladder crushed my abdominal muscles and radiated down both my arms. I was passed around but I knew sooner or later, someone would listen and give me an answer. I demanded a referral to Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute and I got some answered. I feel so normal when I come here to friends who understand.

Thank you so much Dmorris, your story is very encouraging and relatable. It just goes to show how much we need to advocate for ourselves regardless of our internal struggles.

I'm in a situation right now that I can't disclose but safe to say a personal situation where I feel bombarded with unecessary trials. Because of the situations nature, and things going on in my life - I had to open up to well decorated leaders in my personal life in how much hurt I was going through in the background. It was something I didn't want to do - but something I had to do. Sometimes we get lost in the foreground without realizing what's behind the scenes. (A good example is bladder problems!)

Sometimes you just have to speak up unfortunately...even until your blue in the face.

Luckily I have a person in my life who came back in the fall and has been a boulder in building me back up. They pushed me to work more hours, put a smile back on my face, and has never once made fun of me for my shortcomings. I keep my health issues quite private, and it's something I discreetly take care of for fear of judgement. Because of there acceptance and my own struggles; it rekindled the love I had for them many years ago.

I'm so happy to hear that you recieved answers at John Hopkins. I will say a prayer that things will keep on the up and up.

Sincerely,
HC