Thank God this Forum exists

Archives1

Staff member
Last evening, one of my best friends from college called me to merely talk. We talked about what is new with him and various random tangents. He eventually asked me what was new with me, and I proceeded to mention a career change and how I love my new house. Yet he knows me well enough that he could tell that I was withholding something because I was not “my chipper self”. He inquired, and I told him what is going on in “this realm” of my life without sharing all of the details. He quickly said, “Man, I gotta run…” I could tell it was his “out” of the conversation.

Thank God this Forum exists because we all are complete strangers, but we all can empathize or merely just support one another. There is no judgment or no “not going there”.

Indeed. 99% of the time, I am just checking to see if there is an announcement of a cure for this little problem, but every so often, there is a thread that is of interest to me, or that pertains to me somehow, even if it isn't a once and for all solution for each and every one of us. As well, there are some folks on here that I enjoy conversing with, but on the whole, this forum has, in fact, been a blessing to me.

jeffswet said:
Indeed. 99% of the time, I am just checking to see if there is an announcement of a cure for this little problem, but every so often, there is a thread that is of interest to me, or that pertains to me somehow, even if it isn't a once and for all solution for each and every one of us. As well, there are some folks on here that I enjoy conversing with, but on the whole, this forum has, in fact, been a blessing to me.

Interesting that you say you hope there is a "cure"... From all of my research and discussions with doctors, it would seem they think they are curing the problem with how they practice urological medicine. I am interested in hearing more about how you think there could be means to cure incontinence. I am not challenging you, but rather interested in hearing what you might hope transpire. I have had some crazy ideas myself which in the end do not possess logic, but preventative for sure.

MAM -- Liked your share. I, too, have found that even my husband & caregiver don't like it when I go into detail about my Overactive Bladder/Fecal Incontinence & Lymphedema. Only here can I do that. It's sad but true. My sister did do some reading about Lymphedema, called me up & recommended that I use the pool at my mobile home park! Also told me to not take hot baths. THAT'S SOMETHING, I guess.

The hard thing is that my parents stopped by to say hello, and they have no clue their 45 year old son is “back in diapers”. I can’t tell them, and I am about to go to bed and on the verge of sobbing because I don’t know how tonight will turn out. I am pulling out an overnight diaper and a top layer diaper with hopes that I can make it through the night with a good night’s rest. I need this community.

@MAM it is probably best to lean on a community like this than getting people like your parents involved. I don’t tell my parents simply because my mother will over-worry herself and somehow think she caused it, lol.

Significant others or best friends are good alternatives to lean on, but here are 2 other warnings. With a significant other, don’t let it become the only thing you talk about. With a friend, make sure they are not already overburdened by people in their life. They may need you as a friend too, rather than one more person they have to provide relief for.

Basically, what I am saying is, this is a forum of people already willing to talk about a difficult subject. Use it!

Thanks, MAM.
Although it has occurred to me that there is some serious flaws in our design....
Hope you can overcome them - but at least you're here, where there is a lot less disapproval and ignorance.

MAM said:
jeffswet said:

Interesting that you say you hope there is a "cure"... From all of my research and discussions with doctors, it would seem they think they are curing the problem with how they practice urological medicine. I am interested in hearing more about how you think there could be means to cure incontinence. I am not challenging you, but rather interested in hearing what you might hope transpire. I have had some crazy ideas myself which in the end do not possess logic, but preventative for sure.
Well, now, to be honest, I don't think there will be a cure, unless there is some unforeseen factor discovered by a scientist somewhere. It might be along the lines of some combination of a vitamine and a supplement of some kind that when applied topically, magically restores control, regardless of the original cause of the incontinence. IOW, I'm really not holding my breath, but wouldn't it be nice? I guess when it comes down to it, the real reason I come here- sometimes 5 or 6 times a day- is because I don't have to hide this part of my life. There are a lot of people who know about me, but I don't even think about discussing the issue with any of them. Here, if I need to, I can be frustrated, (and be honest about why), angry, (and still talk about it), or depressed and yet, still know that everyone here understands, first-hand. I don't think there will ever be a cure, at least not a single one, for a problem that can be rooted in so many different origins.

Considering current politics, the odds of a "cure" is low - in the US of A. But there is other nations. We can always hope and keep our eye's open.
It isn't just diabetes. A-Fib might come in there, somewhere. The recovery and maybe the Chemo from Prostate Cancer. NeuroSurgery took me nearly a year to go back to merely mild.
I got taken off a Anti-coagulent and it got better. Not a lot, but better; is that a coincident?
Keep us informed.