swim with incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Does anyone know of a product which would allow me to swim in a public pool by providing a waterproof cover over my urinary incontinence brief?

if you want a disposable product Tranquility makes a swim diaper called swim mates and there are a number of reusable products available I have a reusable one called Sosecure

one thing to remember swim diapers are designed to contain fecal accidents only some may have some minimal absorption to contain minor urinary loss before entering the water but the main purpose of a swim diaper is to contain fecal accidents you don't want to exit the pool with half the water in your diaper
e56ba55fd2416f955f0e7f87b9ee859d.jpg

I wanted to present this question two years ago and researched the heck out of it. The only places I could find at the time were overseas in U.K. and Australia. I ordered one from U.K. and used it many times (for urinary incontinence) but I have to say it did not work that well and I still leaked. When you are in the water swimming laps and moving your legs all around you are going to get plenty wet. We just have to be honest here, your UI bathing suit is going to leak, period.

So when I’m swimming I don’t announce to everybody that I have urinary incontinence. It’s top secret and only I know. But you can bet that every other person probably has some form of UI too and discretely leaking away :)

I use the swim mates with the Sosecure over them,that way you don't have to wash out the sosecure and they don't sag.

The Theraquatics swim diaper is about the best you can do. However, as DPCARE mentions, the primary use for these is to contain fecal material. Once you swim in these, you will most likely have to change, since water will get inside and soak the inner liner. Virtually impossible to avoid. Also, if you use them alone (without trunks or a swimsuit over them), they are very recognizable as some sort of diaper, which does not meet with great acceptance from other bathers. I usually wear these under loose-fitting trunks, which raises no eyebrows on others. Since they are not extremely absorbent (in the sense of a disposable), they do not sag and fall down the way a disposable would when it gets extremely wet. I generally change into a dry diaper after going in the pool. But the good news is that these prevent embarrassing wet spots on your suit or on patio furniture cushions as you're lying around the pool catching rays. Let's be honest, most public pools keep their chlorine levels extremely high, and there's no reason to think that a lot of peeing is happening in the pool. You're probably the least of the problem!

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’m going to try some of these out. Loosing my prostrate a couple weeks ago was relatively painless, but this incontenence issue has had a frustrating effect on my active life. Especially on swimming, tango and lengthy meetings.

Although I don’t always practice what I preach, easing off coffee will reduce your leaking by 50%. But every once in awhile I sneak a cup or two of brew and use more pads/pull-ups. Some things never change, live and learn.

I tired that one. It’s great for sports and things where you don’t need the larger bags. Out of all the companies I like their leg bags the best, especially since they have fabric backing and are more comfortable.
You think some of the other companies would get a clue about comfort.