Supplements

Archives1

Staff member
Hi, does anyone out there take any vitamins or supplements for their bladder? I just started to take pumpkin seed abstract and will give it some time to see if there’s any benefits. Thanks, Michael.

If you Google corn silk tea it is supposed to be a very well regarded bladder support.lots of information on line.
My experience with a organic one was that the flood gates opened. Quite dramatic!
I can't say nothing works because why would pumpkin seed extract (tried it but nada for me)or corn silk tea be around if it's hogwash?
But the bladder issues are unique to each of us for reasons often mysterious so try googling corn silk tea and see what you think

@mustangmike1971 Nope, not me, I only take supplements my doctors tell me to take. Some folks on the forum insist that drinking tart cherry juice, or sugar-free cranberry juice,,l or taking cranberry pills daily made by the manufacturer AZO helps. Since my problem is caused by permanently severed nerves to my bladder, drinking cranberry juice isn’t going to do anything to improve my bladder. Still, I tried drinking both juices and also taking the tablets back before I knew what my diagnosis was, and they definitely didn’t help me. I also used to take them before I had neurogenic bladder, to try to help prevent UTIs. It made no difference for me.

Hi, I don't use extra supplements either. Rather I avoid things that can affect my bladder or bowel. Like some fruits, sweeteners, some fat and herbs. I tried vitamin and cranberry pills but there is always something else in it that does more bad than good.
But every ones situation is different and it's worth trying.

I dont take any for bladder issues but recently found out i was low on vitamin c. I have had issues with low potassium in the past years. I dont know why because I eat food that should have all that. I have added vit c, d, b12 recently and i am feeling a lot better and my mood is really better. I also take Zeal for life powder and have for a long time. For some reason I think I dont absorb the minerals and vitamins like I should.

For non-bladder reasons, but for other health reasons, I take:

-Vitamin C 1000mg
-Calcium 600mg 2x/day
-B12 1000mcg for brain health, after how many Traumatic Brain Injuries I had from snowboarding that impacted my frontal lobe
-Biotin 10,000 mcg 2x/day (for hair and nail health)
-Fortify 50 Billion For Women, which is probiotics and prebiotics, to improve gut health
-Centrum Multivitamin for Women

At times in the past, I also had to take potassium for about seven years in my late 20s and early 30s, to improve hormonal health.

I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist in the future because now I know that I have Osteopenia, I need to take more calcium and different kinds of calcium. I don’t trust my primary care physician to be the one who decides what I take for osteopenia, so I will be seeking the advice of an Endo for that.

@Maymay941 Yes, I was laid off at Christmas because I joined a union we started forming to protect our overtime rights, and our rights in general. It’s illegal for my company to have done that, but they get away with literal murder and rape and stealing maternal milk and bullying. That was easily the worst job of my life. Now I’m working on a couple of independent films in Salt Lake.

@Maymay941 - I did check on the benefits of corn silk tea. While it can help the liver, gallbladder and UTI's - apparently it is also a diuretic. No thank you. I have tried Pumpkinseed oil with some improvement, but I haven't seen anything impressive enough that I would skip wearing protection. - Pam

@snow - I will say that I do have 2 cups of coffee in the morning - but I purposely avoid drinking much water even though I know that is not a good thing health wise. Just trying to avoid what everyone here is trying to avoid. - Pam

Nothing for urinary, just stuff I think helps me.
40000 iu
Niacin
Magnesium
Vitamin C
Complex B/B12
Turmeric Curcumin
Couple others I can't think of at the moment, minerals I think.
I don't get sick much at all when all others in my office come down with everything.
Now watch me get sicker than I have ever been in my life. :)

Please, please, please do not start randomly taking supplements without your doctor’s permission first. I recently wanted to start taking Vitamin D to combat my Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - winter depression. So my doctor did a lab test and it turns out I somehow have 3x the healthy limit of Vitamin D in my body, which causes calcium to calcify in your heart, veins, and kidneys. I hadn’t even started the supplement yet! Imagine if I had done so without first checking with my physician! There is a huge myth in our society that if we take too much of a vitamin, we just pee it out. That is only true of certain vitamins, not all of them. I found out on Thursday at my pre-surgery check-in that my EKG shows it looks like I’ve had a mild anterior heart attack. I’m only 47 with a regular heart rate, regular blood pressure, and low cholesterol. There is zero history of heart disease in my family. Vitamin D may be the culprit. I had all kinds of tests with cardiology on Friday, the next day. I get the results back this afternoon. I’m sharing this info with you so you know that you shouldn’t just randomly decide you fancy taking supplemental, not to mention unregulated, vitamins. Doing so can actually kill you! All these people are out there taking tons of turmeric and ginger root to combat inflammation without doing their research. Both of those supplements cause severe liver damage and are worse on your system than traditional NDAIDs like Aleve and Advil. Always, always talk to your physician(s) before beginning a supplement.

@snow i did not know that too much vit D could cause those sort of issues. I take a lot of supplements but do wonder if im doing more harm than good.

Do your own research on what I'm going to say here, because I have memory issues up the ying-yang,but I THINK I heard that watermelon seeds help with bladder issues. This link doesn't mention the bladder, but it's interesting:

Turns out that when I tried them, I wasn't doing it right! No wonder I saw no difference. All the same, my incontinence is due to a head injury- my bladder does what it wants. Christmas day, for example, was particularly wet; yesterday (Boxing Day) was dry until about 10:30 p.m. It wouldn't be so bad if my bladder gave me its itinerary for the day, but nooo... it wants to keep me in suspense (and diapers...)

I wish everyone a happy (and dry) new year.

@jeffswet - Boy Jeff - Never having any idea of how your bladder is going to function has got to be SO FRUSTRATING! to say the least. - Pam