Sporadic wetting

Archives1

Staff member
Hi. I wet the bed no more than a couple of times per year. It's always the same cause - the pee dream. I'm in my late 50s, and this has been happening for about a decade. I have never gotten up in the middle of the night to pee. Other than the one or two occurrences per year, this has not been a problem. Any suggestions?

If you drink a lot of fluids after supper maybe it could be the cause of this,if it is cut down on fluids after supper,just a suggestion,also cut down on acid juices and pepsi,coke etc...,drink decaf coffee or tea about 2 cups per day and also cut down on sweets.If you are a smoker cut down or quite smoking ,cut down on hard liquor

It will help,I know it's hard to cut out stuff that we enjoy,I like pepsi and on the weekends I like my Cointreau,for now I don't take any of these and it really helps me.

The problem with hard liquor and even wine it's alcohol just the same,you see the vessels around the pelvic floor is delicate so we have to protect them for now ,it has an effect on them,later on when we leak much less then we could go back to normal but slowly.

Just use pull ups to bed and have drinks earlier. A good reusable mattress protector combined with a pull up will keep everything under control if it does happen.

Mickintheland said:
Hi. I wet the bed no more than a couple of times per year. It's always the same cause - the pee dream. I'm in my late 50s, and this has been happening for about a decade. I have never gotten up in the middle of the night to pee. Other than the one or two occurrences per year, this has not been a problem. Any suggestions?

Were you a bedwetter as a child? Is there a family history of bedwetting? I ask, because it seems similar to my experience. I had bedwetting issues a few times a year thru my late 30's, & 40's. They became more frequent in my 50's, and now in my 60's, I'm wetting almost every night and resorted to diapers to protect the bed. Regarding my questions above, I WAS a child bedwetter, with a family history of bedwetting. After several tests and scans which showed no problems, the doctors seem to think bedwetting is a genetic issue for me.

Hi @Mickintheland a few times a year bedwetting can be frustrating but is really very manageable and no big deal. I would first suggest that you do, if you have not already, mention it to your doctor. If not for anything more than getting a baseline record of it incase of future issues.

As @donny4 said with only a few wets a year a good waterproof mattress protector like protect-a-bed or other comfortable mattress cover is all that is needed.

For me my bedwetting is occasional happening once or twice a month now more or less, usually less thankfully. Mine started when I was a teen and was so random and infrequent much like yours. It really wasn't until I was in my 20s that I realized I was a quasi bedwetter. Times of stress seems to increase my frequency but most of the time it is so random as to when I bedwet. No really trackable cause or trigger.

Hope you are finding good info here and feel free to ask questions and contribute to other's posts. We are just on big helpful supporting community.

I just want to say that this is the kindest, most thoughtful group of people I have ever encountered on the internet. Maybe anywhere! I came on here with something that was to me a big, embarrassing problem. And you have been so welcoming, non-judging and kind in your responses. You have given me some good ideas to help. Some of you have much more significant issues then I do, but no one belittled me for whining about a relatively minor matter. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am overwhelmed and deeply appreciative of you.

@MikeD9876 Mike, I was not a bed wetter as a child. At least not that I remember. Mine feels more psychological than physical. It usually happens in strange beds - not my own, and is associated with a change in routine. I did mention it to a doctor a few years ago, but he didn't seem to think that it was a problem.

I want to echo Mickintheland about finding the kindest, most thoughtful, non-judgmental, welcoming, inclusive and helpful groups of people I know. I always feel welcome, and I am always interested in how everyone is doing. Wishing good health and safety to all.

@Mickintheland I feel similar in that I felt so welcomed and made to feel comfortable about talking about about my bedwetting (something that I had never really done in the past). With my bedwetting being only occasional I too felt that my issue was so insignificant and that I probably didn't belong here after hearing the strugglers that others were going through. But I was never made to feel that I was not welcomed no matter if I wet my bed once a year or every night. All were welcomed.

So Thanks all for being so wonderful.

I think a washable, waterproof bed pad is your best bet for wetting that happens only a couple times a year. It would be a waste of money to wear a pull up or diaper every night.

When you have a wetting episode, think back to what you ate and drank before bed. Common triggers for wetting are carbonated beverages, artificial sweeteners, and of course alcohol. Good luck!

Hi,I got a Canadian question for you people,last night I was watching Dr. Pol and their was a Great Dane that had proplems pee-ing too often,so Dr. Pol prescribed a pill to streghten the vessel from the bladder,no my question is this== is their a pill for us people also to strengthen our vessels ?

Teddy2834 said:
Hi,I got a Canadian question for you people,last night I was watching Dr. Pol and their was a Great Dane that had proplems pee-ing too often,so Dr. Pol prescribed a pill to streghten the vessel from the bladder,no my question is this== is their a pill for us people also to strengthen our vessels ?

So I gotta ask, Teddy.... Are Canadian bladders different from other people's bladders?? (LOL)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!! ) 😊😊

I've heard of pills that dilate vessels in the body, but don't know anything about pills that strengthen them... But then again, I'm not a doctor.