Spinal fusion surgery

Archives1

Staff member
I’m going to have to make a huge decision soon, as to whether or not undergo spinal fusion surgery. I’ve been in severe pain for years now, as well as dealing with the urinary incontinence.

Has anyone here had fusion surgery?
I’m looking to hear from other peoples experience, about pain level, recovery time and anything else relevant to the surgery

I’ve actually had two surgeries for spinal fusion. In 2007 I had levels C5-C6 and C6-C7 fused, then in 2021 had C4-C5 fused also. Both times I had quite a bit of pain prior to surgery. Much better afterwards, and recovery was not bad at all. The worst thing is not over doing things until you are healed even after you feel better. No regrets about having either surgery, neck pain is pretty much gone for the most part. Whatever you decide, good luck.

15 years ago after suffering two prolapsed discs causing severe sciatica, I had L4/5 andL5/S1 discs removed and fusion supported with cages and pedicel screws. This gave instant relief from pain and for me back to normal mobility and ability to do a physically active job ( at that time I was an engineer working in a very hands on role on ships). I was 44 then, 60 now.

Unfortunately I was also suffering with bedwetting then (life long issue) and OAB symptoms which had me under care of urologist at same time. They couldn’t find a specific cause of my continence issues and said that they felt it was all related to my spinal issues.

Fast forward 15 years I continue to wet every night so I wear nappies to bed and am well used to that. I continue to have urgency issyues in the day too so often wear protection when out and about. However, my back has been so good since the surgery and I would not hesitate to go through the surgery and recovery all over again if needed.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery

By the way, my recovery was quick. Out of bed walking 2 days after surgery, discharged on day 3. Had first couple of weeks at home feeling like a tin man with awkward movement and feeling quite uncomfortable but by weeks 3-4 post op I was stepping up my walking and doing physio led mobility exercise. By week 8 I felt great and by 12 weeks post op I was swimming, walking 3-4 miles and doing all the normal household jobs, gardening, car cleaning etc. By 6 months post op I felt really good ant it was as if I had never had surgery or problems .

Just had L4-L5 fusion 10 days ago. Incontinence issues due to RP 9 months ago initially appeared better but are now back to about where they were pre-surgery. Recovery has been going well and so far pain hasn’t been nearly as bad as feared. Now walking 2 mi/day and feeling good although the incision is still sore. Have my first post-op appointment in 2 weeks. Good luck with your surgery!

Male, age 77 now.
Twenty years ago I had L4/L5 fusion. I felt perfect after surgery, so by day two in rehab I was beging to go home. I wish they could do something like that for my mid back, but nothing is available for that.

No effects on OAB or anything else.

How long have you had constant pain? I’ve had it since 2009. My back doctor told me to wait to see if my spine would self-fuse which is a better option than them doing surgery. Most people I know who get one back or neck fusion end up having to get additional fusions. Multiple ack surgeries made it so my aunt couldn’t walk after age 60. My cousin / that aunt’s daughter - is in the same predicament as my aunt was. I will never get ba k surgery unless it’s a true emergency. My back *did* self-fuse, albeit crookedly. I have a scoliosis curve of about 17° in my lumbar spine now. I get sciatica here and there and now have spinal stenosis but you’ll also get that with surgery. There’s no way I will get back surgery because everybody I know (friends and family) says it just makes things worse after a couple of years, except for the people above, of course. Good luck with your decision! P.S. After my entire lumbar spine self-fused, my back pain greatly reduced.

I had back problems for many years that also ran in my family. Back surgery was a last resort for me. I had it at age 77 after years of trying chiropractic, PT, acupuncture, spinal injections and other treatments. It’s generally true that most back problems resolve themselves with time but mine progressed into severe sciatica that put me on crutches for 6 months of the year. For me there wasn’t much left to try. It’s a tough decision. Make sure you get a second opinion.

DCNY - I had l5-s1 fused 30 years ago - glad I did it, it was bone on bone when they got in. I was very leery to have it done despite the pain - similar to you. I found a progressive Dr and he offered an experiment - he put me in a cast for 3 weeks that simulated the fusion, remove motion at that affected joint - I remember waking up about 10 days in and literally all pain was gone. This was a clear indication the fusion would work and it did! I would inquire on this, I am surprised more dont offer this (the cast was a pain but worth it) I am now dealing with adjacent disc syndrome, the disc above is gone and so on...fusing one puts stress on the next one. I have 7 joints that they could or should fuse right now.

This works better for some levels better than others. After this experience, I am a `huge advocate of spinal braces- I have several I use today and they help me avoid further surgery and massively reduce pain. I find using them and PT and the right activity keeps further surgery on delay.

I think some have had good experiences and instant relief but others have not and there are some considerations down the road to consider. Good luck!

Hi
I don't come here often
I had an L4/L5 spine operation with placement of a plate and spring between the discs
It worked great and no more pain to date.
since the operation I have become enuretic and during the day a little incontinence which forces me to wear a towel constantly
This doesn't stop me from living a completely normal life.
so success for you and no longer have back pain