sns

Archives1

Staff member
Anybody have Sacral nerve stimulation for pelvic floor spasms? I have urinary incontinence due to hereditary spastic paraparesis, and my urologist recommended this in pelvic floor therapy doesn’t work (note: it didn’t work previously under another urologist four years ago).

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis; I know that can be quite a comprehensively challenging and complex condition. I recommend trying Botox injections before getting a machine affixed inside your body. Botox gives me 95% relief from daytime spasms, frequency, and urgency. My worst problems are at night. Botox helps about 70% during the night. I have Neurogenic Bladder after severing nerves between my spine cord / brain and my bladder when I fell down a cliff. Botox works the best for people with nerve conditions like you and I have, or like MS. I recommend calling your doctor to see if you would qualify to try these injections before trying another implanted stimulator.

Thank you for the response. I currently am in pull-ups 24/7. I am well-familiar with botox as I receive injections in my legs. I also wear night time KAFO braces which makes getting out of bed to use the restroom very difficult (my knees and ankles are locked). I was wondering if anyone had experience with using a foley catheter only at night. I think it would help with my severe lack of mobility. My pelvic floor spasms are pretty bad at night, and everything is loosened with me taking baclofen for my spasms.

@N517 I’m curious; what does having Botox in your legs accomplish - does it stop something like Restless Legs Syndrome? I also get Botox in the back of my neck, my trapezius muscles, and my the sides of my jaw to treat daily migraines.

Botox blocks the release of a chemical in the muscles that causes my muscles to be spastic and to spasm. The injections are on a cycle that I need to do every three or four months.

@N517 , It is worth a try. It can take a few weeks (sessions) to see results.

The first time was a decade x 2 ago, PTNS at the time was emerging, and was done in the doctor’s office with an electrode needle and patch at the ankle. These days you can buy units and patches online for home use. My recent PT recommend to start again for helping with pain and muscle relaxation in the PF and bladder. 3-5 times a week.

I found in combination with stretching, and mindfulness to help lessen the pain. Fast-forward, I mainly use it now when I have a bad flare up.