Smell

Archives1

Staff member
Hello all. Hope everyone is staying cool tonight. I live on the east coast (NY) and it has been very warm and getting warmer all week!
I have been on this forum long enough to know it is a safe place, no judgment passed, and no need for embarrassment. But...here goes:
I've noticed my urine has a very strange smell, almost chemical. I've smelled my share of urine having worked many years in the infirmary of a psychiatric hospital but this smell is like nothing I've ever smelt before. And here's the really strange thing: while I was making my Granddaughter beacon the other morning I swear the raw bacon smelled just like it!! Totally freaked me out!! My husband suggested perhaps I have a high level of nitrates in my urine. Thinking about it now maybe he was joking.
This smell just started a few days ago. Of course it was after I had just been to the urologist.
Has anyone ever had this smell before or am I really losing it? I do try to stay hydrated even though that results in more urinating.

Hi. I also experienced this but part of the smell comes from the adult diapers as it reacts with the urine and tried to nullify the strong ammonia smell. I started drinking cranberry juice, green tea and water and found that the smell became much better. I know it’s embarrassing but I’m sure that you’re reacting to the smell and I’m sure that some of it might be subconscious. I thought I would smell very strong but my wife told me that was not the case and you couldn’t be assured that when she could smell it she told me. Good luck.

I have noticed my urine has a strange smell in this hot weather. It must be quite strong as my wife commented that I was getting a bit ripe and should go and change my nappy.

I have noticed to. It’s have been very hot I’m in New Jersey and have had to change more often. Hot weather and diaper don’t work well together

Keep us informed. Not sure spouses and especial;ly Google is relyable. Try Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, other well-known & reputable hospitals. On the web, that's anonomous.
Sorry. It isn't my day for spelling.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I really thought I was nutty. The only way I can describe the smell is for ya'll to smell uncooked, Jimmy Dean bacon. My husband and I were talking about again and he mentioned that years ago he worked at a rubber manufacturing company and the smell reminded him of the compounds he used there.
Even though I had not had a leak my shorts smelled too. It's almost become my new warning system- even though I don't realized I have voided, the smell will let me know!
I purchase my pull-ups from LL Medico once a month when I get my pension check. I usually get Abena Level 3, Seni Active Plus, and some Molicare 8D for good measure. So as you are all aware, they ain't cheap. And of course my insurance doesn't cover the cost at all. Due to the cost I try get a few voids usage from them but with this smell I have to get it off ASAP no matter how small the amount of the void is. I will continue to hydrate myself and watch for any other oddities. I always have at least 2+ blood in my urine but that's not new, been that way for years now. Thank you all once again.

I'm sure you already have but perhaps get tested for uti? I agree increasing your water intake should make a difference and if not then I'd get a second opinion. The exception is I notice when I change in the morning my urine always has a different odor then during the day.