Skin irritation/itching remedies

Archives1

Staff member
4 weeks post RPS, using pads daytime and pull-ups at night. Have slow leaking 24/7. I will be doing PT for the incontinence, but my question is how to treat the skin irritation/itching that comes with constant contact with urine. Are there any products that can be applied to the area? Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

I use unscented baby diaper cream like Zincofax but I would love to know if there are better options that actually absorb into the skin and soothe it.

After an infection on my penis and perianal area after a UTI my PCP "reminded" me to use Vaseline at every change

Over-the-counter Calmoseptine. Totally worth it. But I suggest only wearing it when you’re wearing a diaper because otherwise it will get on your clothes and stain them with oil grease. I sometimes also use the prescription powder Nystatt/Nystop during the day when I’m just wearing panties, but out walking a lot. It keeps skin dry and smooth to avoid aggravating a diaper rash. If the rash gets bad enough, then I develop a severe yeast infection that this past winter lasted for four months, and have to take a week of the prescription oral anti-yeast pill Diflucan 150mg. I suggest getting to know a dermatologist for these purposes. A GP/PCP doesn’t really know how to deal with the diaper rash as I found out the hard way. And they usually are only willing to prescribe Diflucan for two days which doesn’t do anything for a surface yeast infection diaper rash; you really need seven days. So visit a dermatologist if you get diaper rash that won’t subside.

@cyclist Hopefully, this is only a short-term issue and you will move past using pads.

As others have stated, using a barrier cream helps. I would add cleaning with a mild or skin specific solution, and allow your skin to air out between changes. Consider going padless daily for a couple hours to promote healing. Pick a time you are typically dry(ier), sit on a towel if it helps, and read a book.

Don't know about corn starch, some swear by it, others worry about yeast infections. I feel it can also trap moisture against the skin, exactly where you don't want it. YMMV.

Based on my experience try a more absorbent pad or change more often so you can prevent the skin issues. As mentioned, clean the area very well with each change, use Calmoseptine 24/7 and your skin issues should get better.

My Urology PA and my PCP told me to lay naked each day to let your skin breath, probably after your bath.

I found something that helps: Bag Balm. I used it many years ago to treat chafing from cycling. Bike shorts padding is so much better today that I don't need the ointment anymore, but it occurred to me to try it for my current condition, and it works. Bag Balm is also used to reduce irritation on dairy cow udders. Basically, a medicated Vaseline.

I’m addition to the above suggestions, I recommend that you keep an eye out for hyper allergenic wipes. I found that on the first few weeks of using overnight diapers my skin was very rash-prone, and it helped to have something soothing to cleanse my skin with while oh toughened up. Thankfully, I didn’t have a big problem with rashes by the time I started needing daytime protection.

@Rowan123 I wish my skin in the diaper area would toughen up. I’m in my seventh year of wearing them but had the largest and most painful rashes of my life this year. I think it’s because I was sitting working so much in the same position - 20 hour days, seven days a week, for over six consecutive months. I have some solutions figured out now, though.

Besides the recommendation of Boomersway - which also works well for me:

- As already written: Change frequently and don't stay too long in the wet.

- If skin irritation occurs 3M Cavilon spray can be helpful.

- Don't use O/W based creams - they often make it worse.

- Be careful with barrier creams. They can work, but are mainly for protection in fecal incontinence. Many creams (especially the O/W based ones) clog the skin pores and then often cause inflammation of the talc glands.

- In case of skin irritation it makes sense to ask the dermatologist. Especially if you are not yet so "familiar" is important, because depending on whether it is a fungus (here it also depends on what kind) a mechanical irritation or an inflammation, the treatment is different.

- Especially if you sit a lot, it is important to change your position more often and to get up regularly and move around a bit.

Hey,

I would second what most people have said on here. For skin itching - you could use a steroid cream but I would just recommend a barrier cream or even a cold aloe gel that can be used for sun burns, etc. Sometimes the cool gel will help relieve an itch without the bad side effects of increasing steroid levels in your body thus increasing weight gain.

With bladder issues - make sure you clean frequently and stay fresh. For those that suffer from FI; I don't know unfortunately - not an issue I suffer from.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs