Side leaks and skin care question

Archives1

Staff member
Hopefully everyone is doing well today. I had two questions from someone newer to these issues.

1. Why do side leaks happen? Does that mean the pullup is full or is it moreso it can't absorb the leak quick enough?
2. What is the best way to take care of your skin when you are incontinent?

Side leaks as in laying down are caused becuase there isn't any padding on the sides. Side leaks from around the leg cuffs on the inside of the thigh usually mean either the product can't absorb fast enough for the void, is full, the leg cuffs are of poor quality, or the product itself doesn't have a proper fit. Tbh pull ups usually have poor fit for anything more than dribbling leakage. If you experience large voids then you may want to consider changing to the tape style products.

As for skin care I use the Johnson baby cream stuff from Walmart with aloe. Everytime I change I wipe down the area with a wet wipe, then spread the cream around my entire diaper area.

Hi @ICGamer, It's true that pull-ups don't have absorbent padding on the sides and they are best suited for active people to use when standing, sitting or walking. Unless you have only light issues at night, prevailing wisdom says to use tape-on briefs with absorbent padding on the sides. But North Shore may have pull-ups that have padding on the sides (although not totally sure if they do)and it would be worth asking them about it.
In wearing pull ups absorbency around the leg cuffs is very important and makes the difference between being comfortable or ending up with a wet crotch!!! Certain pull-ups will advertise they have something like "stand up leak guards," or something worded to that effect. That amenity will give you a better experience.
Or if you want to go the pull-ups route, you can always consider flow through booster pads which you place inside and it's absorbed by the pad and any excess goes into the padding of the pull-up itself. But please don't place pads that have a plastic backing into a pull-up because that's an invitation to having leaks on your bottom and crotch.
AS for skin care, when you change, use a wet wipe to wipe down the area because urine left on the skin for a long time can become irritating. Then dry off the area before putting the new garment on. You may then use a medicated powder or lotion or whatever your personal choice is.
I hope these tips help. But the operating word to know when using pull-ups is make sure it fits well! If it's too big on you then that is a sure invitation to leaking and too small will be pretty uncomfortable!

Thank you both. These were cheaper generic store brand "depend" type that seem to leak easily, size small/medium so that could be the issue. I will keep an eye on it but sometimes I just have random gushes that are just..annoying to sum it up. I will be sure to check out the pullup fit but that is great to know about the skin care, and thank you for the other tips as well. I will experiment with some Depend Overnights or nicer brands.

I did try some regular "briefs" today and they did handle fairly well, but my urologist said to be sure I am fully emptying and with pullups, that can be easier. I will eventually find a better/the right product and will be getting help hopefully soon but I do like the freedom of using the bathroom when I can feel the urge.

@ICGamer totally understand the "ease" of being able to use the bathroom with the pull ups. Tbh though most of the time you can pull down the briefs too. Not quickly of course if you are in urgent need, but if you have time or are just trying to ensure emptiness after a void then you can usually slip down the briefs fairly easily. I have bowel control so I slip mine off all the time to have a movement.

The depend brand in general isn't great though. All of their pull ups are geared towards only really light incontinence these days. Their briefs are still okay for one maybe two large voids, but generally fall apart easily. Depending what you are needing performance wise though they can definitely work just fine. I would suggest maybe trying out tranquility. Can't find them in stores, but they are a step up from depends, and not as expensive as some of the top tier brands. They have decent quality pull ups, and tabbed briefs. Again not the greatest, but better than depends.

@ICGamer: You might want to check out the super premium pull-ups like Northshore's Go Supreme, Abena's Abri-Flex, or Molicare's Mobile. They have a lot more capacity than any other pull-up and have very good standing leak guards. You can also easily use flow-thru or non-flow through pads inside of these. They still aren't as good a premium tape-up brief but they are very good and way better than anything you can buy in the stores.

Regarding skin care. I always use wipes at every change. I rarely get rashes. I buy them by the case from Northshore

I only get leaks at night so I always wear plastic pants over my nappies to bed. As for skin care. Lots of sudocreme is my way of keeping rashes to a minimum