Running and biking products

Archives1

Staff member
Am looking for information on what are the best options for a man who is used to running 30-60 minutes a day and also bikes a lot.

This may not be extremely helpful coming from a woman, but I work out daily and wear tranquility pull-ups when I work out. They are fairly comfortable for running, biking, rowing and other exercises. The full diapers just have too much bulk when I work out. Depending on how much protection you need, there are also pads for men that you could try, though I am not knowledgeable on them.

Try calling any company that sells disposable or washable products for their advice. They will probably give you the best advice, and may send you free samples to try. I mostly use washable products, as they are much cheaper in the long run.

@physlink guess I'm not really sure of a specific volume. Haven't really been measuring the output. I saw another post where the fella mentioned that there really is no leakage while sitting or lying down (sleeping) but as soon as you rise, the leaking begins. If I've been on the computer for an hour or so, when I stand up (and head for the bathroom) I'll pass a fair amount (maybe 150ml or so) but just guessing.
I guess the bottom line is, I leak continuously if not sitting or laying down. I've tried running with one of these pads in my shorts. It works I guess, but pretty uncomfortable. Biking is a different story. I try to arrange a pad so it collects any leaking but it's pretty difficult while sitting on a bike seat. Also, bike acts kind of like putting a cork in the bottle... Guess it's pushing up against things (bladder neck/urethra) and once I dismount I can pass quite a volume depending on how long I've been on the bike.
So, sorry to ramble, but guess I'm not really sure how to answer your question, I really don't have a very accurate way to measure my output. Maybe just say several (2-4) pads a day depending on how much I drink and how much I sit.
As I said, sorry to ramble, I'm new to this forum thing, have never participated in a forum before.

@Bdvance1 no need to worry about rambling, sometimes it helps to put it all in a post. I also leak more while standing rather than lying down. I think quite a few men find the same. From what you say, I think it clear that it isn't a drip or a dribble. Mine can be anything up to 500 MLS if I have been lying down and so I wear tape up products. I do regularly walk the dogs in these and I walk around a lot at work, but I think that they might not be great for running or on a bike. Some of the pull ups have less padding between the legs and might be worth a try for exercise. I don't use them often as they struggle to cope with a big leak all in one go. Some companies will send samples to try. I guess that cycle shorts will keep what ever you use in place? Even for everyday wear I put lycra trunks over my tape ups. Good luck with your experimenting, cheers Phil

Hey thanks for all who wrote. I'm new to this leaking thing (and to the proper way to use the forum).
I had the green light pvp procedure December 10th and although they have told me things "may" get better I'm sure seeing no improvement whatsoever.
I used to run pretty much every day, 30-60 minutes. I also bike a lot when the weather permits (live in Iowa) and on my rollers (bike trainer). However, since this"procedure" I'm trying to find what I can use while doing either (bike/run). Running with a "pad" is like sticking a pillow between my legs, and that is no fun! I do wear bike shorts a majority of the time while riding. They are fairly tight and have a chamois crotch. Have tried sticking a pad (or baby diaper) down the front. Not crazy about that solution either. Really don't leak while I'm sitting on the bike (or in a chair) since I'm assuming the pressure on my bladder neck keeps the urine in the bladder. But if enough has accumulated, when I stop the bike (or stand up out of a chair) fairly soon the"spurts" begin.
So, will begin investigating some of the things you folks have mentioned (pull ups and such, even washable underwear I've read about... Anyone have experience with them?.
May investigate the external catheter. My doctor even mentioned this "artificial sphincter", but not sure I like the sound of that! He simply mentioned it but said that's "way down the road" so not to be thinking about it at this time.
Enough for now, time to stand up and head for the potty...

I hate to promote an expensive exercise machine, but maybe a health club could let you try one out. The one my PT has me use is sort of a cross between a stairstepper and a bike - foot pedals (up and down, not in circles) and hand grips. The seat adjusts. The resistence dials up pretty high. At least for me, it doesn't have the two affects you describe.